Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:38am
Hey 
Tony here
I am looking to do a bit more with air rifles and this looked like a good place to start. Always used air rifles for pests and fun and am really interested in trying a pcp but not totally convinced on them yet.
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:44pm
Hi Tony, welcome. You'll certainly find a wealth of info & knowledge here :-)

I'm also being drawn to the dark side of PCP, however I don't have a FAL and the process is now a bit of an ordeal to go through (and costs money for it and related 'needs') So I'm sticking with the Co2 types..

Good luck

Cheers
Andy (not that far from you :-) Waikawa Beach)

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:59am
welcome mate,pcps are the first and oldest form of airgun that was practical for hunting they were first known bout the same time the flintlock firearms came out so have been around for a while now,todays pcp airguns are very sophistcated airguns compared to the early guns,and to me are the ultimate type of airgun and are my preferred hunting airguns simply because they are so accurate and versitle,but as Andy said you need firearms licence to own them now and they can be expensive to buy and set up with some means of filling them,fill stations are a one of cost tho,just a matter of choosing what type works best for you ,a dive bottle/hand pump or small electric compressor all cost bout the same,approx $500, bottles require regular testing and filling which costs approx $50 per test and $10 per fill at dive shop,hand pumps cost $450/600 depending on make,small hpa 4500psi compressors cost approx $5/600 from china,if you dont mind bit physical work outs a hand pump will not only keep guns filled but keep you fit as well,i have both bottles and hand pump.i have recently got back into using springers as well which has been interesting after years of being totally spoilt using pcps,i had to learn how to shoot a springer all over again,but lovin it its been good getting back to bassic airgun hunting and shooting again.
 cheers mike
mxtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:42am
hey sorry for delay I couldn’t login.
Thanks for all the info. I have started the ball rolling and have order a hong yeng compressor but am still going round in circles whether to buy a gamo starter package or go for a ultimate sporter with a higher end scope. The main reason for going pcp was to get something I can always hit something with as if I drag my gamo shadow out the cupboard I would have more chance throwing rifle at the rabbit.
What sort of set up do you guys have?
mxtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:46am
my partner is just started her fal so she can hopefully have some fun and we won’t have issues if anything happens to me
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:01pm
Hi Tony, I had a gas ram Stoeger x20 .22, knocked the hell out of the rabbits on my section (3 acres) I currently use a Co2 CR600W suitably moded and that is a bit quieter (one of our dogs is a nut job and 36kgs and loses it when a loud bang occurs) I have a Hammerli 850 M2 .22 Co2 on order from Holland, it made it to Auckland and is now being minutely examined by the powers that be, hopefully they will release it some day :-)

Cheers and good luck
Andy
mxtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:52am
Hey Andy
I will look up your rifle as I am not familiar with hammerli. Did you order rifle from kral and what is the process like was wondering if that could be an option as not much choice around at the moment and I think that’s why I having trouble with a decision that and the fact it difficult to pick one up to see how it feels. Since I was a lad many moons ago I always wanted a weihrauch so I should maybe wait for that option. Does running co2 cost quite a bit and is it easy to get bottles?
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:57pm
check out trade me theres plenty airguns on there including cheap hi end pcps,co2 can be hard to get these days.i bulk fill all my co2 guns using 5kg co2 fire extingishers as my co2 source i get these free but out of date from mate at rubbish disposal,the rubbish guys hate them,cant sell coz outa date and if they miss and goes thru the compactor all hell breaks lose ,its total BS the way customs now treating airguns and police over import licences for airguns,easier to import firearms,hope you get your rifle eventually Andy its not worth the hassles now trying to import airguns and getting treated like a terroist over an airgun,they lost the plot eh!!.
 cheers mike
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 4:25pm
Yes, still no movement from Auckland on my 850. I included emails from the police firearms permit unit stating that it didn't require a permit, I copied them to the courier company in Auckland, and they have sent off for clearance (whatever that means) that's the current status of things. 

Tony, I get the Co2 12 gram cartridges from H&F in Otaki $10 for 5 cartridges, Dave I'd be interested in understanding what your setup is though :-) if and when the 850 makes it here.

It can take an 88 gram bottle. however I've sent off and received  a co2 adaptor that holds 2x12 gram cartridges, it can be removed and inserted multiple times. It's from a company in UK ( www.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk) a guy called Richard, very helpful and competent, most refreshing :-).
So I think that'll be a better option than the 88 gram one.

The Kral order was reasonably painless, once I sent them the police emails, it's just when it hits our border that the thing starts to drag, hopefully commonsense will prevail haha.

Good luck in your endeavours :-)

mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 8:45pm
Hi Tony, well done you have already got some interesting and informative discussion going.

For rabbits I have a Sig Sauer ASP20 and possums are dispatched with a Gamo Black Knight, both are 21ft/lb break barrel units and well capable of ruining scopes from the inside.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic