Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo CFX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo CFX
    Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 7:30pm
My CFX has number on it that starts with 04. That is probably when I bought it, 2004. It broke its first spring about 3 weeks after I bought it. It was never as accurate as I hoped it would be. Got to the stage where I took it apart and got fed up with it and left in in the cupboard for about 18 months. Then I had a bit of a clean up and thought I might as well toss this piece of junk out.
As I was about to throw it on the trailer something told me to try again and I did. What did I have to lose. Brutal chopping and altering and it turned out not too bad. A GRT trigger in the days when you could get them from Levin. Can't remember his name. That and a few other alterations made it pretty good.
Still a spring breaker but not a bad shooter. Even with a broken spring.  Then I got sick of springs breaking so I got a gas ram from Custom Airseals. That was another great improvement. Bit harder to cock but worth it.
Still not quite satisfied so I am experimenting with lead strips taped tightly to the barrel. Now it really shoots well.
I have three CF Gamos and they are all very good shooters. Top of the line stuff but it just takes a bit of time and effort to realize their potential.  (( The underlever Challenger with the hammer forged barrel is a disaster but the stock is very good.)) 
Was in Hunting and Fishing today looking at the latest Gamo line up. They look to me like accountants rifles. Plastic everywhere and over sized and  ugly.
I am not going to buy one to see if they are any good.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 8:43pm
unfortunatly your term of accountants rifle falls pretty close to the mark with many new airguns and firearms these days,many new guns have plastic parts and stocks so badly designed they are just plain ugly,these are guns designed by bean counters who know absolutly nothing about the products their companys produce,what they are used for,or who uses them,its all about max profits for their share holders so they cut corners and make things as cheap and as fast as possible and really dont care about their customers.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 12:16pm
Gamo is a terrible brand in my opinion. They have the market share and ability to start from scratch and develop a really good entry level rifle but they simply keep churning out the same hunter 440 platform with slight tweaks and dip it in extra plastic.
The quest for ultimate FPS is at the compromise of real shootability. They are over-powered, horrible to shoot, destroy scopes and also ruin the experience of new shooters; to a point where we have had visitors to the club turn up with a new gamo, shoot, and never come back.. its a pity as we need those new shooters to keep the sport going.

The CFX is probably the one Gamo that is probably worth owning, I have seen one at our club in previous years that shot very well, but as you say it had a lot of work done to get it there.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:11am
I agree with you all. Hugh, I have the old NRC cfx, as well as the two Hatsans that bear your handy work. I pick up the Gamo every now and then for a bone rattling, teeth jangling couple of shots.

Great
Accountants
Missed
Objective
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:23am
Gamo seems to be very focused on producing guns that give really high velocitys with light weight pellets so they can publish these high velocitys to fool many into believing this equats to more powerful hunting rifles as it pushs perceived fpe levels higher in theory,but most us know that velocity 1050fps with pellets is total waste of time as accurracy goes out the window with pellets as drop back thru sound barrier.Gamo as you said like their plastic parts,while there is nothing wrong with plastic componants in the right place,if they well designed,Gamo seems use plastic now for everything where ever possible,but they not only ones doing so Crosman just as bad as are some others too.
 there seems to be a competition between some manufacturers about who can produce the uglest guns these days and boy some are certianly doing that,Gamo has allways used very light and thin tubing on spring guns,this i believe has lot to do with how these guns perform,they are just not built strong enough,and you right they way too expensive for the build quality they dont have eh!!what really bugs me bout many modern airguns and firearms is the is the really badly designed plastic parts and stocks many seem to have these days,just plain ugly far as i am concerned,things like sharp and square edges and weird shaped trigger guards and stocks just bug the hell outa me,ugly is in these days it seems and the uglier the better seems be the trend these days,dont make sense to me that i can buy a decent 22 rimfire rifle with scope suppressor and gun bag for less than a Gamo 177 cal spring air rifle from the same gun dealer,just dont believe it costs more to produce a simple spring air rifle with less parts than a rimfire firearm than to produce the firearm with more parts,that dosnt equat for me.
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:29am
Pual lost your mobil no can you pm to me and will send you some pics of scope and new one piece rings i made for it to fit the pcp revolver,sorted scope issuse out mate working well now and everything aligned correctly again.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:36am
Done
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:51pm
Well there you go Pauly5. You have obviously been spoiled by the Air Arms PCP. 
I got a bit soft shooting the CR600W for a long time. Alan has gone soft because he only shoots his PCPs. He does shoot a .22lr now and then so he keeps up with the recoil.
Shot my Webley Tomahawk yesterday for the first time in months. Power to waste but recoil. Had to have a special session to revise the artillery hold.
I just need to say my underlever Gamos are very good. Far better then a wobbly old shooter but they are piston guns and piston guns are special.

New topic coming up arising from something JS said.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:56pm
My heart still lies in spring guns. They are satisfying to shoot.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 8:17am
i must be spoilt by my pcps too, got the old BSA springer out the other day after reading novas comments on recoil,this is a rather powerful 177 rifle,bloody near cracked my false teeth,sounded like box of files rattling away inside,had new spring put in it few years back,mustve been a truck suppension spring i think,bloody thing nearly jumped outa my hands,never did get on with this rifle and this time no exception,after half an hour still couldnt hit anything but did make nice bit peg board out of a piece of ply got so many neat little holes scattered all over it i could proberly paint it and use it to hang tools off,i think this rifle hates me coz fights me so much i cant hit anything smaller than 20 liter paint bucket with it,dont know why i keep it,proberly just to punish myself and remind me why i went to pcp rifles eh!!
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic