Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CR600W Air Chief.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CR600W Air Chief.
    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:48pm

CR600 W.  CO2 - air strippers and muzzle breaks…

Some time ago I was browsing in Gun City and the little gas gun caught my eye. I bought it for $400. Not cheap but not too expensive.

For a Chinese gun it is very well made and the finish is pleasing and I enjoy handling it. It shot fairly well out of the box with just a barrel clean. That was ok for a while and then the amateur air gun mechanic urge got strong. The first change was to lengthen the pull by about 50 mms with a cedar butt plate. That was necessary because the rifle is very small. It comes with a silencer about 150 mms long. It works really well and improves accuracy with it screwed on. It works just as well with the end screwed off and all the baffles emptied out but then it is a megaphone and the rifle is loud. It also makes the barrel too long and a bit vulnerable because the barrel is long and thin.

I opened the transfer port up to 4mms and enlarged the valve body size following Minty’s lead. That increased power somewhat because it now   buries a .22 pellet about a millimeter deeper into a piece of dry Pinus Radiata. Trigger adjustment is awkward because you have to dismantle the rifle to get at the adjustment screw. I overcame that by fixing a small brass wedge to the trigger guard that decreases the trigger travel. Overall the trigger is pretty good. The open sights are very good but obviously a scope is better.

On a wet day or two I made up a few muzzle breaks of various weights, six air strippers and three open ended cans. All were made on a wood lathe out of acetal plastic or out of aluminium tube and rod. A couple of the brakes are steel and quite heavy. The machining is tidy but not as precise as a proper metal lathe. 

Testing showed that the air strippers fashioned after the Hatsan or Rowen engineering models, with adjustable cones and elongated vent holes worked fairly well but not as well as my expectations. One fashioned out of aluminium bar was a complete disaster. No idea where the pellet went. The best two air strippers for accuracy were straight cans of 25 mm diameter and 15 mm bore with holes bored a right angles to the bore. The end of the can has a blunt washer affixed with 7mm exit hole for the pellet. Functional but not suave but I could feel a lot of gas coming out of the lateral holes. They certainly reduced group size at 25 yards. Then I had to make just one more stripper. This one is 60 mms long with vent holes at right angles to the axis and with a brass cone. That could be the best so far.

Straight muzzle brakes worked well to the extent that I wonder how much of the air stripper effect was really attributable to the weight on the end of the barrel rather than the stripping effect. Then it got more complicated because as the shot count increased the breach and barrel temperature went from warm to cool to very cold. The point of impact dropped about 15 millimetres over 25 yards. When the range master called a break the barrel warmed up and shots were high again. I am too impatient to shoot brackets of pellets in slow motion. Then there is the minute of wobble of a very average shooter.

I am still impressed by the quality of this little Chinese rifle but temperature change is a hard one.  I was sitting in a scrubby gully the other day. Sheltered from the wind and warm in the sun. The little gun performed very well shooting off the knee and chopping off blackberry stalks.  There is an extra cost shooting CO2. Buying the 12 grams gas bottles and pellets according to my calculations worked out about the same per shot as a .22LR if buying the ammunition from the small bore club.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:39am
good have you back,these are good candidate for adding a small screw in bulk fill conversion unit to,as you notice 12gram co2 disposables and pellets pretty much cost same as 22lr ammo which makes shooting co2 guns on disposables a little expensive these days,cheap source bulk co2 is out of date 5kg co2 fire extingishers,bulk fill stations that can be adapted to extingishers are cheap and available on trade me,you may remember from old nz forum i mentioned this set up some years ago,this is how i fill my co2 guns.
 easy enuf to make screw in bulk co2 tube extensions for guns like the air chief out of allimium tubing with simple fill valve on front end,you need a dummy 12gr canister on front end that replaces the disposable one jointed to the new tube this can be machined from solid alli and threaded to fit end cap thread,the dummy 12gr end can then either be threaded to the alli tube or fitted into tube with couple oring seals and held in place with 3x grub screws and front end cap done same way,i never made these bulk fill extensions to hold more than 36gr co2 otherwise they tend to get too heavy and upset balance of rifle etc,as point of these bulk fill extensions is to cut running costs more than anything else with me a 24gr extension is fine,as doubles shot count anyway,i preferr to do bulk fills this way as means dont modify rifle and it can then still use the 12gr diposables as well,if done right this way of bulk filling will also look good,made up several such extensions for different rifles this way and found best looking and a very practical way of bulk filling this type of rifle.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic