Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Smith & Wesson 78G Mount ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smith & Wesson 78G Mount ideas
    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:06pm
So I have a Smith & Wesson 78G, and like the idea of mounting a reflex sight on it..
there is no rail, but am wondering if you technical college had any ideas of how to add a small dovetail section?

I have seen one forum where a rail was added but it involved milling the entire length of the top and adding a long rail.

My thought was to use the barrel screw to secure a small section of 50mm rail?
There is a small anti glare strip down the length of the pistol that is slightly deeper than the rest of the top - perhaps that could be used as a guide to keep the rail section from moving around?

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:16am
havnt seen one these in 20years had one as trainer for my smith ans wesson rinfire version back in 1980s,good little pistol,no need to machine top of barrel off,its flat enuf to put short rail for halo type dot sight on,tho would require drilling and tapping couple holes for screws,not an issuse if dont mind messing with the guns collectable status,not being a collecter but a shooter myself i wouldnt hesitate to do so if wanted optical sights,those who collect airguns would consider doing so vandlisim i am sure but its your gun you do with it what you want mate,i could machine up a dove tail rail to suit for you,11mm rail better on pistols than the larger 20mm rails if you can find a sight these days with 11mm dove tail,20mm rails just too big and look ugly on pistols.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:21am
Cheers, I figured drilling and tapping is the easiest but ideally I would like to o keep this one original...
That’s why I wondered if the existing hold for the barrel grub screw could be used?

With the strip through the top and the single screw fix, question is if that is enough to keep it firm for a small red dot..

I have a pair of these I got in from USA, one is a bit of a wreck that I will pass on through trademe but this one is not too bad so thought I would make it easier for me to pop off blueberry thieving birds in the back yard..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 9:14am
you could proberly do that if you removed rear sight and made a rail that fitted into sight recess and used cap screw into barrel screw hole etc but would need to make rail so didnt obstruct loading port or alternativly make a base that fitted on top but over the sides a little to keep it in postion with just the one cap screw,one screw never really strong enuf,specailly in soft alloy with only short thread,i allways make up mouts and rings myself for any handgun,have made them for many hard recoiling big bore revolvers over the years never had one shoot loose,i hate big ugly rings and bases on handguns, have just made set of 30mm one piece rings for my pcp revolver that not only look great but will never come loose from guns dovetail rail but this rail is machined into the top of gun not a seperate rail,so nothing to come loose,biggest problem when scoping a recoiless airpistol is having mount strong enuf the resist hard knocks etc or worse still being dropped and landing on scope or dot sight,as am not a collector i just drill and tap holes mate which is what would do if was my gun,but thats just me as said not a collector but a shooter mate,facts are you keep any gun long enuf it becomes collectable to some one,guns made be used not just looked at and fondled .
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic