Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Hunting Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SIG ASP20 .177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIG ASP20 .177
    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 4:06pm
Just bought the SIG break barrel gas ram springer air rifle and have trialed different pellets.

After about 500 down the barrel, she's settled and likes Air Arms Field 8.44 (Head Size 4.52) best. At 1,010fps I'm getting 19fpe.

But the best bit is that she's as accurate as my Weihrauch HW97KT!!! Smile

Yes! Can't believe it! Using the artillery hold and resting on sand bags, I'm getting sub-1" groups of 5 pellets at 50yds consistently.... Wow! And this is a magnum springer!

Trigger's not quite as good as the HW97KT but it's very satisfactory.

I'm a happy chappie! Anyone else out there with the SIG ASP20? Are you getting similar results?
Would like to hear from you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:47pm
I have never fired one of those, but it sounds like you've got it sorted. Can't beat the satisfaction of a springer performing like that,
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 6:42am
thats excellent accuracy on par with a pcp mate,finding the best pellet half the battle with airguns,my 177 pcp loves 10,34 JSBs,its doing 980fps for 22fpe,and its shooting sub inch at 50yds i shoot magpies with it out to approx 100yds,tested it on block balistic jell at 100yds blew a half inch diameter hole thro 8 inch of jell,was amazed at penertration and damage that little 177 pellet did at that distance.you will have no probs on rabbits/possums etc out considerable distance with that rifle.
 cheers mike
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:35am
Thanks guys!

That's interesting Mike - I had no idea the .177 could do that at 100yds! Splendid! As I now develop the SIG's ballistic chart out to 100yds, I'll check the damage my 19fpe does at 100yds too.

I've had to Loctite every bloody screw down so far! The recoil kept loosening my rings and stock screws! She's a munter! Big smile

Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
shane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 8:35pm
Just had a look on Chairgun ..out at 100yd , you looking at approx 5.4 ft.lb of energy.

I was thinking about getting one of these but ended up getting another tx200  
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:09am
Originally posted by Myson Myson wrote:

Just bought the SIG break barrel gas ram springer air rifle and have trialed different pellets.
Yes! Can't believe it! Using the artillery hold and resting on sand bags, I'm getting sub-1" groups of 5 pellets at 50yds consistently.... Wow! And this is a magnum springer!
I'm a happy chappie! Anyone else out there with the SIG ASP20? Are you getting similar results?
Would like to hear from you....

Yeh, getting that 'artillery hold' right is the thing. I'm still in the throws of really learning that. I haven't put 500 through my rifle yet. These 'magnum' rifles are certainly a huge 'step up' from the old springers of a few yrs ago. I've shot my first couple of 'Vermin' with it, (mines a .25) and the hit is quite incredible.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 7:33am
Thanks Shane & Graywulf.

Interesting! We'll see what 5.4fpe does out there!

What rifle is your .25, Graywulf? An ASP20 too?

Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:29am
allways interesting what guns can do at long distances,destroyed few chronoes doing long distance chrono testing with firearms over the years,dosnt matter how well you think you have protected a chrono if its hit with a 308 ha ha.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Myson Myson wrote:

Thanks Shane & Graywulf.

Interesting! We'll see what 5.4fpe does out there!

What rifle is your .25, Graywulf? An ASP20 too?

Technically 5fpe should humanely take bunnies, and birds if hit in the right spot.

HAve wanted to try the ASP20 for a while, glad to hear its working out.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 7:58am
the often qouted rule of thumb in UK for their 12fpe rifles min of 6fpe on target for rabbits etc,but what they dont qoute is that at 6fpe pellet placement is critical,there is no room for error in pellet placement at 6fpe,otherwise you leaving a wounded animal to die a painful death if not found and dispatched,of course they neglete to tell anyone that side of things,for that reason i dont use 12fpe airguns for small game hunting,tho fine for pests like rats and birds etc at reasonable distances,we are not restricted to using 12fpe hunting airguns here and there plenty of other choices available here better suited for small game hunting than 12fpe rifles,you got to respect those UK small game hunters on utube hunting with 12fpe 177 rifles tho,as they are very good at it and must put lot of time learning those shooting skills eh!!
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic