Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nitro Piston Conversion Stoeger X20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:04pm
I'm still not sure though, only way to tell is to pull it apart. A gas ram will obviously have a limited travel distance so that's the only thing I could think of. You can make yourself a spring compressor with a sash clamp or what ever they are called
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:22am
Cheers, I'll work on honeing my limited air rifle maintenance skills first. The thing is working well , apart from the noise, so I'll apply the " if it ain't broke don't fix it " rule for now ,:-)

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm
of course the other option is to keep fixing it til is broke ha ha
 cheers mike
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:25am
It may not be much help as my rifles a Hatsan .25. But they are a 'high power' gas ram. What I 'think' is not so much the sound of the ram operating, but you don't get the 'aftershocks?' as such as there is from a spring powered. Even with a suppressor on the rifle, there is still a fair 'pop' to be heard as the slug exits.
  I read that this same gas ram is used by Hatsan in all their calibre's.. the .177 will go 'supersonic'.
  Not knowing what grain slugs you are using, but if fairly light are they getting close to, or doing that? (supersonic).
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:26am
you can soon tell if they go supersonic evan with a suppessor fitted you get a very distinct crack,my 177 pcp is set up for 10.34/10.60 gr pellets at minimum for 980fps and 22 fpe but is better with heavier 15/16.4 grain pellets as far as sound goes/havnt chronoed it with lighter 8gr pellets coz they leave suppressor with very loud crack to them,so assumed they are supersonic at muzzle,dont understand why many springers and gas ram rifles are being advertised as capable of 1200fps,when thats bassically unusable with pellets,obviously these rifles are intended to use heavy pellets not the usual 7.5/8.2 gr pellets and should be advertised as such,obviously they are being marketed to first time buyers who velocity means more power and dont know the difference,gamo made big deal out super light weight alloy pellets getting these velocitys but neglected to say accuracy would be a problem when these pellets dropped thru sound barrier,these super light weight pellets do have a place as they are good way to boost velocitys from low powered guns and get flatter tradjectorys but are essentually useless from higher powered guns if going supersonic,tho havnt actually shot pba pellets at supersonic velocitys yet to see if they are accurate until they drop thru sound barrier,but they could very well be accurate until they do drop thru sound barrier,has anyone tryed this test???would be interesting to find out i guess.
 as most us know very well accuracy is key with airguns as evan the more powerful airguns dont come evan close to a 22 rimfire firearm in 177/22 cal,just a matter of finding the heaviest pellet that still gives decent velocitys and best accuraccy in my experience when comes to hunting or pest shooting in guns that dont have adjustable power settings but having said that i am still constantly amazed at just how well even a little 177 pellets can be a very effective small game hunting airgun out to quite considerable distances if its accurate.
 cheers mike
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:15am
thanks guys, I'm getting more ammo today. I bought a couple of times of vmx 14.66  ( I think :-))
Not working well with the CR600W.but good enough with the Stoeger.

I'll just keep experimenting. I'd like to tame the CW600 though and get accurate pellets for it.
Cheers for all the good advice.
No substitute for experience..
A.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic