Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nitro Piston Conversion Stoeger X20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitro Piston Conversion Stoeger X20
    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:30pm
Okay guys, just opening up a (very hypothetical) subject.

If possible I'd like to pick the brains of you highly knowledgeable air rifle Jedi Masters.

I currently have a Stoeger x20 .22 (2 years old) I like it but it's noisy, not at the firing end, I think I've got that covered with a suppressor, it's at the mechanics end.

This is what it says on the box

this is what I believe it to look like inside (No 3 looks like a big spring)

And this is what I've found on Tinterweb :-)

I see there's an earlier thread, going back a few years, on the subject.

Question: do you believe this would make a significant difference to the sound of my X20. (or be an improvement all round) If so, is it major surgery (having no bespoke tools, like spring compress thingy etc) to swap it out.

Also would it affect the power and accuracy of the rifle (for better or worse)

Thanks in anticipation and over to the 'font of knowledge' :-)

Cheers,
Andy
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:49am
only one i know who does this conversion is Alex Magon of Mag Air ,but Ron Young proberly does it as well,you can change the power etc with most gas ram guns by changing the pressure inside the gas ram,think this needs a a special tool or pump or something,dont know much other than that,just what i remember from talking to Alex some years ago,look Magair up on line and give him a call,call Ron as well both will be able to give you more info that i mate.
 cheers mike
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 12:26pm
Thanks for the feedback Mike, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Andy
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:00pm
Oh well, just goes to show how little I know!

I opened up my Stoeger and guess what..A gas ram I believe :-0

Oh well, I'll just have to live with it for now, perhaps upgrade when the finances permit :-)

Cheers,

Andy 
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:00pm
so the box was right eh!!dont know there much you can do bout the noise other than just learn to ignore it,as pellet proberly left barrel anyway time you here the noise,i guess dosnt really matter if rifle shooting accurately.
 cheers mike
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:20pm
Haha, correct, I'll just have to give Lola some brandy to settle her nerves :-)

A.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:04pm
The noise could be caused if there is a small gap between the piston and the ram, if the ram in a couple of thou too short it can cause the piston to rattle and bouce at the end of the firing cycle. If this is the case you could shim it. Or you have something broken in the ram/piston
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:05pm
But on second thoughts, there should always be tension on the piston.....
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:51pm
see there you go finally someone who knows bout gas rams.
 cheers mike
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:20pm
Thanks again guys, i'm not too sure what it would sound like, so I'll leave well alone for now, and brush up on my air rifle maintenance skills :-)
Perhaps I should record it and put the sound file up here so those with 'the ear' can listen :-)

Cheers for the feedback

A.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic