Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HI and rekindling the subject of .177 or .22 :-)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HI and rekindling the subject of .177 or .22 :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HI and rekindling the subject of .177 or .22 :-)
    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:55pm
Hi,​ my names Andy, I've​ just joined the forum, lots of useful info I see,​ so​ I'll jump straight into the topic heading '.177 or .22' as I'm going blind watching YouTube videos about the subject :-)

I currently have a Stoeger x20 .22, bought it 2 years ago and hardly used it until quite recently, when war had to be declared on the rabbits in my section (I have a 3-acre pretty flat section near Manakau)

I stopped counting after about 2 dozen kills, and I think they're getting a bit shy ( a good thing). Mostly visitors from the neighbouring sections now I think, although a quick window-opening and on with a red lamp shows them partying at night:-)

This rekindled my interest in shooting and I decided a few weeks ago to look into possibly getting another air rifle, a quieter one (one of our dogs, the biggest one, a ridgeback/mastiff/boxer? cross freaks out when she hears the sound of the shots.) (unfortunately we have 5 rescue/cruelty case dogs, not deliberately I have to add, my wife worked for an animal rescue and we ended up over the years with the no-hopers!

I've been chasing my tail and yoyoing around the subject, and I started by bidding or an Air Chief CO2 on trade-me but wasn't successful, which was probably a good thing, as I started researching a bit more earnestly. I quickly became mesmerised by the Gamo whisper fusion the Gamo replay magnum. (I understand from observations on this forum, Gamo is a bit of a no-no) Now I can't make my mind up, .177 or.22, I like the thump of the .22 but the longer range and 'straighter shooting' of the .177 attracts me. I bagged a bunny last week @ 50 metres, but the conditions were ideal and, I'd prefer a straighter shot rather than the guesstimating over aim and under aim of the .22. I'd shot enough targets at varying distances to just about know where to aim at that range.

The going blind on YouTube bit was around using a .177 to knock off bunnies, I consider myself a reasonably good shot, the quality of the shooting with a .177 doesn't really concern me. I'm looking for accuracy and quietness (Multi-shot would be good too) in any future air rifle.  I considered getting a Firearms Licence, but the cost and hoop-jumping wasn't worth it.

So, after this War & Peace intro, any advice or reassurance that an accurate reasonably powerful .177 would do the job would be greatly appreciated. And any suggestions as to reliable reasonably priced models would also be appreciated,

As I type this one of my prized possessions is counting down on trade me to help fund my new interest (so far, it looks like no one wants a Panasonic Tough book (virtually bulletproof laptop/tablet :-()

Cheers

Andy
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:14pm
Andy, I will send you a PM.

I reckon you can do the job with either. .22 won't be as effected by wind, but loopier trajectory. .177 more effected by wind, but flatter Trajectory. If you place either pellet in the right place, you will drop them.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:35pm
Andy, I use a Hatsan .25cal for bunnies and cats now. In the past I've been a massive .177cal fan but the bigger calibers I find more accurate at further distances particularly 50-80m. Also, the .25 has alot more energy. I use a Hawke Scope on this and use the Hawke "Chair gun" app for calculating bullet place of impact which corresponds to the milford on the scope. I only use .177 for plinking now or starlings.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:37pm
Since I mentioned the Chair gun app, does anyone else use this tool?
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:40pm
Hi, thanks for the info/advice, I'll add it to my 'what the hell do I do' file. :-)

Cheers,

Andy
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:44pm
too quick with my earlier reply, I have it on my computer but go cross-eyed when trying to understand it. I do use the link  below to assist with some stuff :-)

https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-resources/widgets/convert.php?Units&u=14

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:45pm
I use the chairgun app. Mainly for working out clicks for target shooting.

Yes .22 better for distance. But I think we adapt to the tools we have available.
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:01am
Hi Andy
and I'm another fairly new member, who's old .22 the piston seal decided to dry/crack/give up with little use when I decided to drag it back out. Like you I went 'blind' looking at youtube reviews and reading reports.
  I would have to agree with Billbob. I took the plunge on a Hatsan Vortex125 .25cal, and a scope (not the sniper combo).  TBH I doubt the Gamo or Hatsan will be quieter than you current gun in the 'magnum' form.
  But, I used my old .22 for rodents and magpies, along with the odd close range bunny.
 A .177 may be 'flatter' trajectory, but once sighted in? My gawd does this .25 rifle HIT.
At 15-20 yrds with a 26grain lead pellet, I have a scaffold pole in the ground, and the pellet is completely splattered flat.
 I have it zeroed around 40mtrs, and very recently bagged my first couple of vermin. Around 30yrds a reasonably large fat rat, to say it almost 'took off' when the slug hit, is not being inaccurate.
 second was a bunny at about 35yds, with a 40grain (drops muzzle velocity) but holy heck it hit, and hard! Head shot, very dead bunny.
  It took a while to adjust to this weapon, learning the 'artillery hold' and it takes some effort to cock it (45-50lbs cocking effort) it's also a hefty rifle around 9lbs.

You may have seen this review already, but I found it very useful as it compares the three Hatsan Vortex 125 .177/.22/.25 rifles back to back, as they all use the same gas piston, it's a pretty good comparison of the different calibre's performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NNziH_M81s

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:06am
the ever lasting challenge of calibers for airgun hunting eh!!sounds to me you doing pretty damned good with the rifle and caliber you using,as for the noise factor i doubt you can do much bout that with a spring or gas ram rifle,personally would keep that rifle and buy another rifle,as for 22/25 etc a 25 will definatly hit harder than a 22,simply because the 25 cal pellets are bigger in diameter,the trade off is that 25 cal rifles generally have lower velocitys in this type of rifle which leads to more rainbow like tradjectorys in 25,so its bit of a trade off between more energy and lower velocitys between the two calibers,both are good choices but each has its place too,the other issuse being that bigger calibers at this velocty level are more susceptable to wind drift,i gave up on this type of airgun many years ago and havnt used anything but pcps for long time,just how far are you expecting your air rifles to be effective for,sounds to me you are doing pretty damned good with what you have now,as for the muzzle blast,proberly not much you do bout that with this type of air rifle,i have no issuses using any of my pcp 177/22/25 cal rifles out lot further than 60 yds,but these are significantly more powerful rifles than what you are using so well,personally i would go for the 25 cal rifle mentioned by previous posters ,these a very good rifles and pack plenty of energy,tho they wont shoot as flat the 22 you are using,its really just amatter of learning how to shoot them and get best from them,this applys to any rifle,if you have to stay with this type of airgun you choices are limited to what they are capable of effectivly doing because of the power limitations this type air gun has,as to makes of rifles,general concensusis that Gamos are over priced and not that well made compared to Hatsan rifles,so you pays your money and takes your chances with Gamos.
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:09am
had computer issuse so some that post seems got mixed up some how,any way you should get drift of what i mean.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic