Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:05pm
Has anyone else used this rifle before?

I've just picked one up for $100 and have fallen in love with it. Each spring I get infestations of Starlings nesting in my gutters. On Wednesday afternoon and this afternoon I've taken 2 starlings each time. Shot distance is around 5m from a slightly open window. Also when shooting pellets I'm getting 3inch grouping at 15m while standing and no sights apart form the front brass bead sight, not bad for a non rifled barrel (I have noticed that there is very slight rifling on the choked end) I don't think it will be much use at longer distances when using the shot shells.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:14am
had a play with one when they first came out some years ago.know owner local hunting and fishing and we played around with a couple,both came to same conclusion as you bout 15 yds max usable distance on starlings/sparrows etc,$100 bargain they were expensive guns new,shells bit pricy and prob not easy to get now,think seen couple boxs shells at local sports shop while back,will check if they still there for you,used to reload mine,with shot my father bought 40 years ago for his crosman 38 cal co2 shotgun he use on sparrows around the chook yard,made wads with a punch i made cut the wads from plastic meat trays etc,but you proberly cut a cleaning pellet in half and use that for a wad,dont know where you would get the small shot they use from these days tho,shot bout same size as used in 22 rimfire shot shells,found larger shot didnt work as didnt pattern well.handy gun if you have a use for it.
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:17am
mis spelt the distance sorry ment 5 yds but found worked ok out to bout 8/9 yds but big holes in pattern by then so so was bit hit n miss past 6/7 yds.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 2:00pm
Thanks Mike, Gun city still have stock of the shells. Yes they are expensive per shot and am looking to reload and put more shot in each shell. Around 20 peices of no.9 shot in each shell.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:05am
we did find that putting much more shot in reloaded shells didnt allways work out better for some reason,couldve been something to do with the wads we used i think possibly blowing thru the shot colume while it still in barrel disrupting shot colume as it left barrel could be a thicker wad may have worked better,i guess you will find out and experiment a bit more than we did,as no reason more shot shouldnt work.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic