Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTR JF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air rifles
    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:46am
Good day
I'm new to the forum and soon new to New Zealand, joining up with my Fiancee already working there.
Would like to ask a question most like answered before, but I'm getting mixed answers from different sources.
I know from reading on the police site, that license is required for a PCP air rifle, but not for as breakneck nor a CO2. Does that mean a foreigner like myself can own a air rifle to join clubs or not.

An individual at one of the police stations mentioned that that was incorrect and that all forms of air rifles needs a licence.

I'm an active competition shooter in the larger calibers, as well as an advanced firearm instructor in South Africa. Would like to continue shooting even if it means under the air rifle categories.

Thanks for your time

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:42am
hi buddy,you dont need licence for any airguns except pcps,not surprising our police giving you false info,most dont have a clue about our gun laws so you get their own opinion not facts mate,might be bit tough trying to bring evan an airgun into nz at present,they gone bit feral bout guns here recently,while not illegal to doso,they dont like it now so tend to make it as hard as possible to do.proberly hoping most will give up trying to get thru the paper work etc,but you can walk into any gun shop with ID and buy any airgun except a pcp.hope that helps.
 cheers mike 
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:54am
Good morning from NZ. Where in NZ are you going to live? There's a couple of South Africans here in Wellington that are in the same boat, in that they are waiting to get their licenses, so are shooting spring guns.

We don't have quite the selection in NZ as in other countries, but there are two main shops in the Auckland region that seem to keep NZ happy.
Youngs Airguns, and Aiguns NZ.
INSTR JF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTR JF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
Will be based for a while in Gisborne area.
Thank you for the quick reply
INSTR JF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTR JF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm
So are you waiting for a license to have an air rifle or larger caliber firearm?
Will be based in Gisborne, but will go where ever available jobs take me

Thanks for the feedback
INSTR JF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTR JF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm
Thanks mike

Much appreciated
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:54pm
I have my license, but these others are looking to buy pcps.
You can get any caliber, and any power spring or co2 powered gun without a license.
You can also have a pcp pistol without one.
INSTR JF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTR JF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:21am
Thank you very much

I have a co2 air rifle and would like to bring it with, would it be a difficult process or should i leave it and buy one once there?

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:02am
thats a tricky one to answer,legally you should have no probs with the co2 rifle,but in practice the way our customs and police work these days with anything to do with all types of guns its likely to be a bit of a lottery whether you get it thru customs,contact nz customs as you will proberly need an import permit of some kind before you arrive here that specifys that exact rifle etc,i wouldnt just turn up here without a prearranged import permit or you may lose your rifle,the system is a real mess here now due to government recently passing new gun laws that are not exactly clear on many issuses so customs tend to interperate the law to suit themselves mate,they have bassicaly banned private importation of most airguns for purely political reasons tho law dosnt actually ban private imports customs and police are actually doing so in effect,like i said bit of a lottery mate only your chances of wining dont look good as things are now,its very different today to what had been for most my life all because of a mass murder commited by an Aussie in christchuch just recently,they have come down really hard on all types of guns in an emoitional over reaction to this incident,they set out to ban all militry type semi auto rifles and decided to ban just bout everything else at same time for nothing but the political agenda of a very left wing government we have today
 cheers mike.
INSTR JF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTR JF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:10pm
Much appriciated thank.

Is there a good selection of air rifle brads in New Zealand?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic