Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Case hardening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case hardening
    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 5:57pm
Hello, calling all experienced ones,

I have been playing around with a CR600W CO2 rifle. One thing I am tempted to do is make a new hammer. I have no experience, but am I right in thinking it would need to be case hardened where it stirkes, and where the sear latch engages it?

Are there any home recipes/techniques I can try?

Or any tips on stopping hammer bounce? Have a lathe, can turn.
Stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:50pm
Or piece of tool steel and harden and temp, I have angle plates, parallels etc made from mild steel and case hardened then ground to size and still like new after 40 years of use. This is just a surface hardness ofthe steel

Tool steel heat to red heat quench in oil keeping the part moving to cool and that will be hard but you may need to temper part so not brittle by tempering, emery paper so you can see steel then heat to whatever hardness specification you need by the colour, light straw etc then quench again.    but the more you heat the less hardness you will have.
Best to find out what original part is made of first.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 8:47pm
Thanks for reply. These guns aren't super quality, mass produced, so to my untrained eye it feels and looks like a mild steel
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:00pm
if the parts are mild steel you need to add carbon to them to harden them properly. you can use carbonates from the fire or bbq to do this. crush them then heat your part till it gets white in colour then dip it in the carbon for a few seconds then quench it in water, you must then heat it up to around 200 celsius for about an hour and let it cool naturally
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:07pm
It will only be a thin surface hardness so don’t grind through this we only used to allow 5 thousand of an inch for grinding.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:50am
if you got a gas torch that can heat small bitz steel to cherry red i can send you some case hardening powder mate,beauty this commercal hardening powder is you dont have to harden the whole piece of steel but can harden just specific areas of a part,or do the whole piece,dead easy to use just heat part or area to bright cherry red dip in powder then reheat then let cool ,can do this several times depending on how deep you want to harden the part,one treatment be enuf for your purposes,be deep and hard enuf you wont scratch it with diamond file.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 8:34am
Great info guys, I'm keen to try it.

Mike, maybe I can swap that pistol scope for some hardening powder?
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:53am
think last one gave some to was wingman up to you bout scope mate,best easy hardening compound there is,better pm you address again had clean out and cant seem find address.
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:18am
up to you bout scope mate,last one gave some to was wingman,you first since then who needed some,not something usually give out as quite expensive,not worth the expense for most to buy just to do odd smal job,but worth weight in gold when you need it eh,as so easy to use and allways works well,i never use anything but mild steel to make anything these days i need harden as case hardening far better than using tool steel as part dosnt go brittle like tool steel if over heat treated and not anealed correctly,never happens with case hardening,case hardening is a skin leaving center still soft until recently all guns were made hi quality mild steel then selectivly case hardened where needed,beauty of case hardening is its possible to just harden only part of the part where its needed leaving rest unhardened,all older lee enfields and mauser winchesters were mild steel and case hardened where needed,the no4 enfields make in us during war were made tool steels and many developed cracks under use,when older ones never did,nungas method works well if you want harden whole part,oldest method of case harden used 50/50 mis of leather and cow horn shavings and done in forge like nungas method this was how they hardened frizens for flintlocks and other gun parts in early days,just bit history and useless facts of interst.
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:43am
where do you want me to send this case hardening powder to Paul,lost your address mate.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic