Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HW45 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:36am
The frame is back from CerakoteNZ.
Looks like they have done a great job with a nice even finish. The pin holes were plugged so they shouldn’t gone a problem to reassemble, and the inside of the frame is also coated which is great as some will be visible when cocking.
A quick dress up with the hogue grip, with the frame cutouts it will be tricky to fit them without any visible gaps, but we shall see.. can always make some rimu grips; the warmth of the Tungsten colour will suit it nicely,

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:02am
looks great,know nothing bout this coating so what can you tell me bout it??is it hard wearing?? who does it??what does it cost ??
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

looks great,know nothing bout this coating so what can you tell me bout it??is it hard wearing?? who does it??what does it cost ??
 cheers mike

"Cerakote is a Polymer-Ceramic coating that can be applied to metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness.

Cerakote can protect steel 50 times better than competitive firearm coatings.  Cerakote salt spray testing is performed using a steel substrate, to simulate real world application, instead of using aluminum or Parkerizing

Cerakote offers some distinct advantages over other finishes. First, the material has a good degree of lubricity, acting as a lubricant once the finish has been applied. A lot of users have found they need to use far less lubricant (if any) once their gun has been coated. Compared to other lubricants, Cerakote attracts far less in terms of dirt, dust and other particles, keeping the gun cleaner and ensuring better operation."

It is a spray finish that is then baked to harden, available is a heap of different colours so popular with those that want to customise their guns / car & motorbikes etc.

The part needs to be cleaned & degreased, bead blasted to remove or rough the current finish, then sprayed and baked to harden. Given the proceedure, it is pretty pricey. I got quotes up to $150-$200 for this single piece, but ended up being $80 from CerakoteNZ. So that price was less than the hassle it would have been for me to do any other coating.
The bead blasting and adding a layer does soften details ever so slightly as you can expect, example the warning wording, serial number and 'HW45' are no long / barely visible, but on these they are very shallow engraved so that wasnt a surprise.

This is the first cerakote i have seen / touched / done, so I also know very little about how it wears so time will tell. This pistol has very little parts that rub so it should be ok.
There are a few guys that do it in NZ; Greystone Guns, CerakoteNZ, Spartanz, Armaworx.

Have a look here for some inspiration:
https://www.cerakote.com/project-gallery

Edited by J-S - 17 Nov 2020 at 4:18pm
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:52am
thanx for that info,dont think will be suitable for what i want,parts too precisely fitted together for adding a paint finish to each part individually,nothing would go back together again as it should,looks like will need to anodise etc,did start making an anodising plant,so will proberly now go ahead with that now did some anodising but test pieces didnt take the dye i was using to colour parts etc,and need get some titanium wire to hang parts into anodising solution,as allinium wire anodises can only be used once as once anodised the wire wont give an electrical connection,unless anodising stripped off again,bit a learning curve for me doing my own anodising.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:05am

thanx for that info,dont think will be suitable for what i want,parts too precisely fitted together for adding a paint finish to each part individually,nothing would go back together again as it should,looks like will need to anodise etc,did start making an anodising plant,so will proberly now go ahead with that now did some anodising but test pieces didnt take the dye i was using to colour parts etc,and need get some titanium wire to hang parts into anodising solution,as allinium wire anodises can only be used once as once anodised the wire wont give an electrical connection,unless anodising stripped off again,bit a learning curve for me doing my own anodising.
 cheers mike

Hmm maybe not. though it is claimed to be 1-2mil thickness (0.001-0.002 inch) so may be ok for main body parts etc - should have better wear resistance than anodising.. Also good if you are making with mixed metals and need an even finish
but experimenting with your own anodising does sound interesting too!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:07pm
sounda bout same thickness as anodising,maybe just little thicker,but could possibly work if i can remove it on contact surfaces,like the idea of the finish tho,what is range of colours??main priorty for me is to get harder wearing surface on allinium surfaces,preferably in a satin black colour and for everything to fit back together correctly.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:45pm

sounda bout same thickness as anodising,maybe just little thicker,but could possibly work if i can remove it on contact surfaces,like the idea of the finish tho,what is range of colours??main priorty for me is to get harder wearing surface on allinium surfaces,preferably in a satin black colour and for everything to fit back together correctly.
 cheers mike

If you go to their website you can see all their colours but they have a huge range. Flat black, "Midnight" which is their attempt at getting a coating similar to blued steel, there are metallic colours, tactical colours and bright colours. Basically anything. My piece was a single piece coated, but I imagine lots of small pieces would be a little more expensive due to the work involved.. might be worth a look, otherwise anodising would still be a great option.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:21pm
Nice
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

Nice

Cheers.
I currently have it left with Ron Young to install the spring kit.. I wasn’t game enough to do it myself on this occasion.
They run near coil bound so there is a lot of preload which has a tendency to buckle the spring when installing.

I have re-assembled the trigger mechanism etc so will hopefully be good to shoot in a week or so..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:28pm
Well done Jono, that's been a good project, and it looks sweeet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic