Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HW45 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:42am
that was a good score once again Ron came thru eh!!you maybe able to source some origional grips and medalions out of US as these guns were sold in US under different name by a well known US airgun company whos name eludes my old fuzzy brain at the moment,but research it today and get back to you,wouldnt count on the frame being made of alliminium,very possibly a zinc alloy,if thats case it wont be anodised but will have some type of heat baked on paint finish,dont qoute me on that one,its a possiblity worth considering,you can get certain paints that can be baked on at home in the oven at approx 100 degrees,some used these paints to put really nice finishs on crosman airguns made from zinc alloys without damaging the zinc which has melting point some what lower than alliminium,i have used stove paints that harden under quite low heat to get nice and hard wearing finishs on zinc alloys,so thats on option to consider as well the beauty of the stove paints is you can put several thin layers on heating between coats and get a really deep and nice very hard wearing finish.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 11:04am
That would Beeman. They had it branded as the P1 and did have their own emblems.

I tried to find a website or contact details a while back and couldnt find anything; they seem to put out chinese stuff these days, rather than in their hayday when they had HW, FWB, etc rebranded gear.

I still may get it cerakoted; their service includes bead blasting the old finish, and ultrasonic degreasing to remove any oils. Its pricey, but should give a great hard finish.
That or I could always try polishing back and having bright alloy finish but that would dull quickly..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
I have decided to send the HW45 frame off to get Cerakoted.
The finish under the paint was a little worn, so it should come out nicely.
I was going to go black in keeping with original colour, but I have chosen colour Tungsten, which is a nice metallic warm dark grey that throws a touch of bronze colour. Should pair well with the matt black of the new top, hammer and safety switches.

Still considering custom rimu grips, but with a newborn time is even more limited!
It would also look good with Hogue wrap around grips but im struggling to find these; seems the distributor has stopped. Anyone seen any in local shops?

Will update with some pics of the coated frame when back, below are the 'before'

Edited by J-S - 09 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:03pm
That's a great project. That colour sounds good to me. 
Do you have to allow for finish thickness on close tolerance parts?
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

That's a great project. That colour sounds good to me. 
Do you have to allow for finish thickness on close tolerance parts?

I wont share what it will cost all up; it will be close to what current inflated pistol rate is!
but im comitted to getting it going so oh well.. hopefully it will be a keeper..

The HW45/75 comes in a couple of colours already (bronze, silver), and I believe the coating is very thin but hard so it should be fine... I have mentioned to them that there are lots of pin holes etc and they have said its no problem and can plug them.
Time will tell..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 7:46am
coming along well ,worth the effort as these are excellent pistols,keep at it.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:58am
Cheers guys. Some colour inspiration shots of the Tungsten.. Also like the look of the Hogue wrap around grips but i cant seem to find any in NZ!!

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:02am
try reloaders supplys or gun city both should have a collection of colt 1911 grips including various makes of  round rubber,softairgun suppiers may allso be able to help,any grips that fit 1911 colt auto pistols will fit your gun,as they were designed to use these grips.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

try reloaders supplys or gun city both should have a collection of colt 1911 grips including various makes of  round rubber,softairgun suppiers may allso be able to help,any grips that fit 1911 colt auto pistols will fit your gun,as they were designed to use these grips.
 cheers mike

Cheers, Aliexpress has a lot of grips, may get some options. But they dont have the Hogue style; i contacted most the big stores and they seem out of stock and the distributor has stopped importing (perhaps recent legislation has stifled their main trade..)
I have found an airsoft crowd that has similar in stock so will take a punt on those..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:16am
The frame got cerakoted over the weekend and is onb its way back to me now. This was through CerakoteNZ, and they sent through some pics of the process for me as well as finished result. Looking forward to recieveing. The metallic effect looks like it will help mask some of the blemished the frame had from its years of use..

Before

Sand blasted off the old finish

Ready to coat

Coated

Finished Frame:

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...