Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HW45 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HW45 project
    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:47pm
Next project to add to the list of unfinished jobs; a tatty HW45..
Horribly ply grips
painted black to cover the white text
missing rear sight
missing safety switch
slammy to shoot, and a little low on power
chipped in a couple of places..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:51pm
I have ordered a new seal from Custom Air Seals in Ausy
New spring, NOS grips, a few spares, and new top lever from Ron. Lots of small parts on their way from UK
The paint comes off with stripper, and leaves the anodising in place, so I will strip it down to bare parts and strip the paint off fully.
When stripped, I will check if any other finish damage (there is a section of wear that looks like sanding on the finish) and may look at getting the frame Cerakoted..

A bit of investment in this one, but they are a lovely gun to have..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:58am
were expensive guns new,and rather a good pistol too.considering what would have cost new,someone gave it real hard time by looks of it,good project bring it back to life mate be well worth it just as a shooter,now banned imports along with bassically all air pistols,the only way to get most air pistols now is to find then used and rebuild them due to this political BS,this one will keep you busy for a while.good find.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:11am
Yeah, so far I have spent a little less than the price they were new, which should get it tatty but functioning and complete.. Add in refinish if the frame it will be close to RRP, but used market they are nearly 2x RRP so it’s not really overcapitalising.. I had one and sold it a year or so ago and regretted it. If this is a good shooter it should stick around a little longer..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:45am
have sold off far too many firearms and airguns i still regret having let go myself over the years never will sell off any more thats for sure,as i now tend to build any pcp airguns i want myself its very unlokely i will ever get talked into selling any of them,have too much time effort etc tied up in guns i build for myself to ever let them go these days.abused worn out guns you rebuild yourself are allways guna be a bit special to you and it can get hard to let them go for sure,usually takes something special you need or want more for that happen,other side of this is that today certain types airguns are getting very hard to get or replace due to the BS import ban etc,as its virtually impossible to buy or import any air pistols these days,so cost of those in country will continue to go up from demand etc,its got so rediculous that evan well known olympic target shooters cant get target pistols imported now,and its not going to get any better either,this mob in government along with nz police are going to continue coming after as many guns as they can,airguns are on their list too.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:10pm
I would love to be able to build something custom, but tinkering is a bit of fun anyway.
It is a pain that nothing is coming in without good reason; it’s also gone through to airsoft - pistols are allowed to be ordered for registered club members only and shelf stock is generally not allowed, According to Ron, only what’s been preordered and sold.
I have managed to get a permit accepted for import of a pair of Smith and Wesson 78G’s, so that will be interesting to try to get here..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:10am
The grips replaced, im still keen to look at some custom Rimu ones at some point. These are new old stock from Youngs and are rather dirty and missing the emblems! I had thought about getting some emblems struck in China, but too much admin.. I did redraw the original logo ready to go though, if I change my mind. I may have to just get some small brass round pieces to infill them or something. I think the original Colt emblems which are available are a fraction too small.

Testing the paint finish with a bit of Citristrip for a couple of minutes showed the spray paint will come off and leave the original anodised finish in good condition. There are some parts sanded to the alloy so I am still pretty sure it will need refinishing anyway; if i want to have it in good condition, or otherwise leave it and shoot it as is..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm
any of the grip panels made for colt 1911 semi autos will fit this pistol,there are heaps of options available with 1911 grip panels,check out some the soft air sites they have plenty and not expensive.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:48pm
Yeah there are some cool grips around. I thought it would be nice to keep original grips, but there’s no possibility to get the original emblems (asked Weihrauch).

Had a couple of mins and swapped the barrel and cocking arms into a new top lever. It’s new old stock from our friend Ron, so it’s in keeping with the original - newer versions have fibre optic front sight. Looks new again, just gotta sort the frame now, reseal and respiring.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm
Was thinking today how this project was going. Great work. HW45.1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic