Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What can an airgun do ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagheera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What can an airgun do ?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 9:00pm
I've been impressed by guys using new airguns on the range and it sounds as if they are a useable hunting weapon now.  I'm thinking of getting an airgun for hunting rabbits and possums on lifestyle blocks and if possible for developing my shooting skill on target.  I would rather have a lever or break barrel, not rely on precharge or gas cylinders.

For hunting, I need accuracy 1.5cm at 30m.  I'm not planning on stretching it out for long shots.

What caliber and footpoundage are considered acceptable for rabbit, possum and hares ?

For target: I need better than 1cm at 25yd or I may as well use my .22.

Are these achievable with an out of the box airgun and scope or will I need to have work done ?

Can you get this sort of performance from a gun and scope in the $500 to $1000 bracket or how much would I need to spend ?

Any advice would be much apppreciated - thanks.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 11:20pm
the weihrauch 97k ive advertised will do this in the right hands with ease. Its a .20cal so its kind of the best of both worlds, but as with any spring powered gun youll have to learn to shoot it.
On the other forum theres a .22 TX200, that'd bea good choice also.
Both capable of target accuracy as they are, and enough energy to your pests. Both good quality airguns as well, well built, the sort you'd keep and not bury in the cupboard with dissapointment.

PM me if youre interested in the weihrauch, and i'll give you a phone number
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 3:26pm
For possums i use my crosman .22  for rabbits i use my Hatsan 1.77. With air guns you really need to learn how to shoot them as they are not like your powder burners and each gun shoots differently.
bagheera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagheera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 6:55pm
Thanks pink mist and nunga,

That's the sort of advice I was looking for.  Probably what I want to do is realistic then, provided I can get a gun for a reasonable price.
It sounds as if the Weihrauch and Air Arms are the go to brands ? 

Some precharge guns rate at 30 ft.lb but those two are both about 16.  I'm trying to get a feel for it.  For serious possum or hare hunting is a lever enough or do you need to go to precharge ? Does a .22 cal give better killing at the same ft.lb ?  I'm also wondering how much the killing power drops off with range ?  Say, what is the kinetic energy at 20m or 30m compared to muzzle ?

Do all good airguns weigh 3 kg plus ?

Thanks for the offer of looking at the Weihrauch.  I think I need to stick to the real mainstream calibers rather then .20 so won't waste your time nosying at it - you're not a shop that expects 10 people to look for one that buys !.

Bagheera
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 10:04am
You have some good questions, My Hatsan (springer) is pumping out around 27 odd foot pounds and will punch a hole through a 3/4" ply @ 60 meters and keep going. It is a beast but very hard to shoot.

My .22 at the same distance is lucky to make a dent in the ply.

Rabbits are easy to kill you dont need an overly powerful gun to kill them but you do need to get close enough to hit them.

Possums are a totally different kettle of fish. Shot placement is the key.

I tend to leave my hatsan ay home when i am out shooting possums, It is heavy and hard to cock and if you hit the possum anywhere but in the head the pellet will just go right through and out the other side and you lose your shock damage.

The .22 on the other hand is far less powerful but still plenty enough to kill them with one shot to the head up to around 30 meters. And since most of the time you are shooting upwards the pellet does not drop off as much (so to speak) so you dont have it compensate distances on your cross hairs in your scope. And if you miss the pellet has a good change of staying inside the animal which generally slows them down enough to line up your head shot and finish the job.

The only true way to measure your energies at different distances is to setup a Chrony at your target and check your results.

A lot of gun the weight is in the spring. the more powerful it is the bigger the spring you need to get the higher FPS and the thicker the parts need to be to handle the bigger spring.

You are welcome to come down and have a look what i have. Have a play with the guns maybe come on a hunt and you can make your own mind up before you part with your cash.

Cheers.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 10:20am
Seeing that you're Waikato based, I can let you know when our piako club is next having a club day. I have a few toys you can try as well, I may even part with one cheap :)
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
bagheera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagheera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 8:15pm
Thanks Nunga, that's interesting info to think about as far as killing power.  It sounds as if the 27 ft.lb .177 has a good trajectory for longer range  and good penetration.  While for possums the crossman although perhaps not as grunty (??) can place them well and dump all its energy inside, being a larger cal.

Thanks for the offer to look at some toys, PM.  I'll get in touch if I have a chance to get out to Piako.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic