Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiya Folks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiya Folks
    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 1:02pm
I've been shooting for a long time now, and thinking of moving back to air rifles, pcp in particular.  I've not had anything to do with them before, is there anything I need to know before I start looking for one?  I'm in Northland, so I really don't know where to start.  I've got a firearms licence.  
Keep Well,
George
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:09am
Hi bud,i guess what you intend to use airguns for will to some extent dictate the type of airgun will suit you,having a firearms licence does give you the option of owning pcp airguns as well which does give you more choices in the types of airguns you can own,how much you want to spend on guns will allso come into it,if you only want shoot targets and have bit fun in backyard,there are plenty reasonbly priced spring and co2 guns that will do that just fine,hunting is bit different and requires bit more powerful guns and there are plenty of options in spring/co2/pump up and pcp airguns very capable of effective small game hunting around for hunting,once again cost comes into it as well,you dont need to buy new guns there are plenty out there second hand in good condition considerably cheaper than new /trademe good place to start looking,or maybe a forum member has something to offer,
 you dont need an extremely powerful rifle for effective small game hunting,i would choose 22 cal over 177 for hunting small game like rabbits/possums etc,any 22 cal rifle capable of around 16/18fpe at muzzle will easily put down rabbits/possums out to 25/40 yards with a head shot with the usual 14/16gr pellets but isnt really powerful enuf to effectivly use the heavier 18/25 gr pellets,25cal another option in some the new gas ram rifles which can now be as powerful as some pcp rifles as can 22 cal gas ram rifles,,the more powerful spring and gas ram rifles get the harder they can be to shoot accurately,bit of an art learning how to shoot powerful spring and gas ram rifles,but once mastered these rifles can be very accurate,the beauty of co2/pump up and pcp rifles is there total lack of recoil which makes them easier to shoot accurately the the powerful hard recoiling spring and gas ram rifles,really just a case trying the different types of guns and finding one that suits your needs and purposes i guess,there plenty on forum who can give you more and better advice in choosing a rifle than i,as i am very much a dedicated pcp shooter these days,pcps do come with an added cost over the rifles as you will need either a good hand pump or a dive bottle etc to be able to fill them with air ,but this is a once only cost as can be used for other pcp guns as well.
 my recommendation would be to start out with a good gas ram /spring rifle,and there are plenty on forum who can best advise you on that than i .
 cheers mike
ShadyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:28am
Thanks Mike, very good advice. I've got a gas piston rifle, a Gamo silent stalker, which is easy to shoot, but I'm getting a bit fed up with having to break my aim and then cock and load it after each shot.  That's why I got my licence, and then a Marlin XT22, very easy to shoot, but I can't use it to knock the possums and feral cats over in the back yard.  The Gamo just isn't man enough for that, and I've had a nasty experience where a cat lived through a head shot and I had to go looking for it. I was thinking that a PCP would fall between these two.
I'm looking at the Daystate Huntsman, although the price is making me wince a little bit.  Where would you suggest I look for second hand rifles?
Keep Well,
George
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:10pm
Hi George, there's a coupe of good pcps on TradeMe at the moment.

The BSA super 10 is a lovely gun, quite old now, but lovely. I had one a while ago.
Then there's the FX Wildcat. That'd be a good possum gun. Very light, cocking lever in a great spot for bullpup, compact/

The Brocock again good, compact light.

I don't know much about the Diana, but I believe Brocock own them possibly.

With pcp, you need a fill source. A hand pump is cheap, but hard work, a dive bottle the best, unless you can afford a small compressor, which is an ideal, as you get a full fill each time.

Many others about, but that's on trademe now.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:12pm
The Air Arms S5100/510 is a great hunting gun too.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 8:13am
why are we getting all this crap posted on an airgun forum,its got absolutely nothing to do with what this forum is all about,there are plenty of IT forums for this stuff that i am sure most our members have no interest in.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic