Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flat dovetail stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:00am
good see you getting good use out of that lathe Paul,you can do pretty much any machine job in a lathe,as long as the job is set up correctly,next time you up this way Paul,drop in and will show you how to made some tooling for machine jobs you can do on your lathe that will make it easier to do evan with bassic lathe tools mate.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:01am
Next time i'm up that way I certainly will, thanks Mike.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:53am
do you have a 4 jaw independate jawed chuck for your machine?? if not i maybe able to get you one from my neighbour who has a large number of older lathes and parts,for free mate,but need know what diameter your chuck is and wether its threaded on or back plate mounted with bolts.need know what the swing is over your bed as well,if i can help would help me if i knew as much as you can tell me bout your lathe so can find the right chuck etc 
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:57am
I've got a 4 jaw chuck, and this was my first attempt at facing off the curved bottom of a picatiny rail. You can probably tell it wasn't centred by the circle centre being to the side, but that seems to be an advantage of the 4 jaw, and it's ability to adapt to uneven shapes. But this turned out well, as it was to be used to mount a bipod.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:13am
do you have self centering 3 jaw chuck?these better for general use,maybe can get you one if you havnt got one mate,holding small items like scope rails in chuck,they need be packed from behind to keep them aligned correctly,proberly better done on face plate mate as item can be fixed directly to face plate as will then be machined parallel, on both faces,i dont do much mill work on lathe these days but have made up a clamp for the height adjustable tool holders for the quick change tool post for jobs like scope rails and use fly cutter in chuck to do the machining,any run off when maching rails will affect the amount of adjustment available in the scope,dosnt take much run off to run out of scope adjustment.you can get fully adjustable milling vice setups for tool posts that make milling lot easier on a lathe,these are not that expensive but worthwhile if you only have a lathe mate as they make milling lot easier and the lathe more versitile in what type milling you can do on a lathe.let me know if you want a self aligning 3 jaw chuck and face plate and will see what i can find for you.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic