Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crosman 600 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crosman 600 rebuild
    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 9:07am
Just sharing the next project on the bench..
I bought a Crosman 600 from our friend Ron, at a good price based on the fact it doesnt function and he couldnt get it to do so due to seemingly non-available spare parts.. But at the end of the day, if i couldnt get it to work, its a nice wall hanger or could be on-sold as a parts gun.

The Crosman 600 is a 10 shot semi-auto pellet pistol. Its odd looking but its hefty, well designed and ergonomically beautiful! Holding it is almost as natural as pointing a finger..

The descrption was "faulty valve", and on stripping down there is not much apparant, apart from some DIY machining marks and a small fault on the rear section of the valve.. so could be a faulty valve, go figure...

After initial struggles getting it to pierce a co2 powerlet (bulb seal needed shaving to pierce), i eventually got it gassed up and surprisingly it held well. Some working of the old parts got it to load and shoot a .22 pellet, at around 310fps - close to factory spec (350fps) so there is hopes for this old beast.

Scouring the web, and some advice from Trevor Adams,  I found a supplier in USA that stocks the parts needed, so a valve replacement and a few missing parts will be on the way soon. Looking foward to getting it all back together, if i can remember how...

Below is a layout of (most of) the parts of this vintage jigsaw puzzle, given the engineering I would hate to think what a pistol like this would cost now if they were still in production.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:11am
these are really cool co2 pistols and one of the very few true semi auto co2 pistol,unlike the blow back pistols common today which are not true semi autos,but just self cocking pistols as they dont actually feed pellets automatically and require an extra pull on trigger to index mag etc the 600 does everything automatically,had several over the years and rebuilt a few,they are very pellet fussy due to having an inline mag and a shuttle feed block,pellets cant be longer than the feed block or gun will jam,i found they preferr the older 12gr pellets which were proberly the standard 22 pellet when guns were made but did find wa few others weighing 14 gr that were the right length and functioned just fine,because there are several working parts that are critical for gun to function reliably,i would replace feed shuttle and the twisted rod that operates the feed shuttle,and all the springs relative to any mechanical functioning parts if you can source them,bound be someone on a US forum making parts for this great pistol as they are bit of a cult following in US,gave my last one away some years ago and allways regretted doing so,awsume project bud,let us know how you get on eh!!
 cheers mike
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:23am
just remembered there are two versions of this gun you may allso find some are marked as Sears and Robuck,who were a big retailler in US of airguns for many years,one version and think thats the one you have used the co2 tube end cap to push front of co2 bulb onto a sharp pin in valve to release co2 directly into valve,second type co2 bulb was put in reverse way and bulb front was peierced by pin in end cap and released co2 into the tube its self,seals on end cap are critical on second type,this type can be bulk filled by making new end cap with a built in fill valve,shot counts are slightly reduced on the bulk fill conversion,but are cheaper to shoot,and believe me once you get this pistol rebuilt and running reliably that they are so much fun to shoot that you will want shoot it a lot mate.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:53am
Yeah they are great little pistols, I have always wanted one. This one was affordable due to being faulty, but will require some parts! I have a rebuilt valve coming from USA as we speak, and about to place an order for another 12 parts! Some arent integral to function; Its holding gas but will get some seals, replacing a couple of screws, sight ball bearing (Tiny!), slide spring / ball / pin etc, but they were meant to be there so will go back in.
Now you mention springs, I may have to ammend my order! They dont have the replacement cams, but will have a look. The cam ring is worn so that will be replaced..

I usually buy pistols and move them on (semi-due to the market being in demand for pistols) also because i dont really get to shoot them! But i see this as iconic and most likely be a keeper.

I also made the mistake of looking at what they do to them in USA, some crazy modifcations and custom jobs out there! Once functioning I will toss up whether to keep original patina, or strip and repaint the body and work on some custom grips..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:53am
Yep... Another $100USD order of spares just placed...

Probably should have held off for a functioning one! Nevermind.
Giving it a bit of a 50th(ish) birthday may help it last another few decades..
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Robasha4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robasha4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 12:40am
Hello to all. I was gifted a 600 but it has an issue with the pellet shuttle not lining up with the feed ramp. I loosened and tried to realign it with the indent on the twisted cam but there must be something else wrong as it just will not stay in place. I read that sometimes you need to remove that twisted cam and rotate it 180• or put it in a vise and tweak it.taking off the rear cover plate you can clearly see the cam but how the heck you get it out? I did remove both grub screws from the shuttle, sprayed plenty of balisol down there but it's such a tight spot I cannot get needle nose pliers down there to get it out.

Can you give me some advice?

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 6:42am
try the us crosman forum, bound be someone there can solve your problem 
cheers mike
Robasha4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robasha4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 6:51am
Thanks for the suggestion.

I just tried registering and new registration is currently closed. Weird.

Do you mind popping over and searching for me?

I've searched online and youtube and I can't find much of anything.

Thanks!
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:35am
try the yellow forum they have a crosman section thats very busy and informative.
 cheers mike
Robasha4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robasha4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:04am
Thank you. I was able to join over there. BTW that forum is now known as airgunwarriors.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic