Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hello to everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 2:01am
wow, well no hunting, not yet zeroed in over any distance, but 20 mtrs?  Air Arm Diablo 25 gr. pellets. Geeeze this thing indeed hits like a hammer. Certainly 'hefty' to cock,  having to try and master the 'artillery hold'. Getting reasonable accuracy (hitting a 35mm target every time at 20mtr). Only a few shots a day, so going to take a wee while to break in the rifle. But holy heck, nothing remotely like my old .22. Recoil not as bad as I expected, due to nitro piston? but still very noticeable compared. Think I will give it a couple more weeks, and then possibly take it into some areas I know are thick with bunnies, and have a wee session.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:19am
the gas piston certainly an improvement over the usual springs eh and many can be adjusted to change power levels over quite a wide range as well by changing pressure inside the ram,gas ram guns a proberly the best improvement to this type of airgun in many years.
 cheers mike
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:57pm
Yes Mike,
 I'm guessing my old .22 was probably around 12fpe at the muzzle, this one is supposed to be around 27/28, and boy it notices. The obvious difference is the lack of the 'sproing' sound of a springer,  and even though it has greater recoil, it feels 'smoother'. I suspect that once I go bunny popping, this thing is going to knock them over hard when the slug hits.

Sadly no adjustment on this gun, all you can do is 'top up' the ram if it needs it.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:09am
the adjustments are in the amount of pressure you put into the ram,at fpe levels yours is putting out i doubt it needs powering up eh!!but by reducing ram pressure you can reduce power or tune it to exactly what you want i would think,give Alex Magon a call at magair he tunes ram guns and can tell you far more bout it than i can as the little i do know Alex told me some years ago,i am a pcp man and have been for 20 years,your rifle if fpe quoted is correct is right up there with many 22 pcp rifles and having shot several foxs in aussie some years back with 17/18 fpe 22 springers i am certain that once you learn to shoot it effectively it will easily take done anything you point it at very nicely in this country i find feral cats the toughest critters to kill cleanly even with 22 rimfires i think cats are harder to kill cleanly than foxs dispite foxs being significantly larger than foxs.cats are tougher to kill,my 40fpe 22 bsa sportsman evan with 25.4 gr pellets isnt allways reliable on cats if pellet dosnt go exactly in right place so i never take on cats unless they at 25yds or less now with this 40fpe rifle,with this in mind i am currently in process of designing a more powerful 25cal pcp lever action rifle for cats as my next build project i want this rifle to run in 60/65fpe range with heavier 30 plus gr pellets the theory being larger caliber heavier pellets at same velocitys as the smaller caller 25.4 gr pellets should be more effective and reliable on cats but time will tell on that one i guess.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:34pm
I still haven't completed a Ballistic Gel test on the .25 H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme. I did do a water test with a 20L bucket full of water and fired into it from 1m. Below right is the result and it opened up a lot more than i expected. it is a little lopsided but i am assuming it was because of the angle into the water. the force of it hitting the water made the bucket split so i have to buy my wife a new bucket!!

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:58am
plastic buckets not good idea eh as you found out lot more hydrolic pressure involved than you would think when that projectile forces the water out of its way eh!!from what have seen online this pellet out of a high velocity pcp expands very consistantly more,velocity has a lot to do with how or if a lead expands or dosnt,the shape of the hollow point dosnt really effect expansion that much at low velocitys,it was allways a known with soft lead pistol bullets that it took approx 1000fps for a hollow point lead bullet to expand reliably in flesh etc,that was reason police departments went to 357 mag revolvers in the 1970s.
 i have large collection of pellets taken from airguns over many years from kills i made,most have some deformation on noses,some from hi vel pcp rifles are absolutely munted,very few hollow point pellets have expanded reliably from low vel rifles,the only one that usually will are polymag preditors and how much these expand allways depends on velocity,i never count on any pellet expanding reliably,i choose pellets for best accurracy,all pellets will cause some trauma and damage from wound channel.the hydroscopic effect from impact and pernertration usually will cause qiute a large eound channel internally,how large that channel is and the damage seems be caused more by diameter of pellet than anything else from my observations,same as is with lead bullets in firearms,the bigger the slug the more the damage,evan without expansion a 45 cal lead bullet does lot damage and will usually out pernertrate a hi vel jacketed 30 cal bullet,but niether work if you dont put them in the right place eh!!in my experience using both airguns and firearms with lead projectiles you choose if you want pernertration or expansion without penertration both work but do different jobs,in airguns like i use i like the heavier pellets best as they hold velocity better for longer and therefore retain more energy at longer distances,the down side can be a more rainbow like tradjectory with heaveier pellets
 any way an interesting topic we could kick around for days.
 cheers mike
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:31pm
I'm going by Hatsan's claims (which most seem to say is pretty accurate) with lead pellets ( believe 25 grain, .25 cal) it's quoted as 750 fps, and I've seen online testing (youtube) of around 510/520 fps with 40grain .25 pellets. Which is about the same rate as the .30 cal Hatsan that uses the identical power plant.
The weekend I got myself some metal targets for practice/plinking. At around 20/25 mtrs I don't think the 4 little tip over, (then hit a little reset target) targets are going to last long, it hits them HARD. I did get a 3 'swinging' metal target frame for .22 rimfire, about 1/8th thick, and boy you can hear it hit.
  So going by my old .22, I think Hatsan's FPS/FPE claims may be pretty near right.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 6:55am
have seen several chrono tests done by very reputable airgun reveiwers of your rifle,Hatsans stated velocitys are pretty much bang on for this rifle,tho each rifle is allways a little different and those tested were brand new rifles,once run in i would expect the rifle to improve a bit from new allso,good rifle from all i have read and seen online.until few years ago a springer 25 cal rifle was pretty much a waste of time,they just didnt have enuf grunt to be any real inprovement over a good 22 cal rifle,but modern tecknology gas changed that significantly,particually with gas rams,nowdays a good gas ram rifle can be in some instances be allmost the equal of some pcp rifles,which changes everything,but evan then just like some pcps the gas rams are at their best with lighter pellets like 25.5 grs etc evan in some pcps,this is where factory stated fpe levels dont really make sense,,because fpe dosnt take into account bore size,so on paper a 25.4 gr pellet at the same velocity in 22/25 calibers produces identical fpe figures,but dosnt take into account the 25 cals larger diameter pellets,this is a case where bore size does make a difference as the 25cal does hit harder and do more damage on target than the same weight 22 pellet at same velocity,therefore the 25 cal is more effective dispite producing the identical fpe level on paper,i am just about to get into 25 cal once have built the rifle that is,my plan is to build this 25cal rifle specificaly to use 30/40 gr pellets at simialler velocitys to 21gr 22 pellets in my other pcp rifles,this means 31gr pellets will be in the hi 850plus fps range with 40gr pellets around 800fps min,otherwise it would be a waste of time me building a 25 cal rifle,this is of course an entirely different thing to your rifle so would expect very different performance on target.you are going to find your steel targets not going to last long with you 25cal rifle,my 35fpe 22 guns destroy spinning targets in very short order,they eventually punch holes thru the back of many airgun pellet traps to,my 3mm stainless steel back plates are twisted and bent out of shape just from 22 cal pcp guns,one has a hole now clean thru it,22rimfire steel targets you are using will take lot abuse,you right eh,you sure know when those big pellets hit steel eh!! i have couple 1/8th 60mm round discs here hanging on fence wires,a hit with a 22cal 21gr pellet has them spinning aound the fence wire quite a few times evan from 24fpe rifle at 750fps,,i know from chronoing 22cal 25.4 gr pellets that produces 31.7 fpe which would be the same fpe your 25 produces with that weight pellet going on Hatsans stated velocitys,thats a pretty powerful rifle on paper and on target it will out perform a 22 with same weight pellet simply because the bore is bigger tho proberly wont have equal penertration to the 22,it dosnt really matter that much.
 cheers mike
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:54pm
Thanks Mike,
 yes I agree I don't think the 'fall over, and reset' targets are going to last very long.  I guess lesson learned, only buy 'rimfire' targets for this rifle. I may have to take a trip to my ex's place, her drive is about 30-35 mtrs and she has a steep, high, bank at the back of the property.  I realised quickly these pellets are going to travel with force, a fair distance. At least I can sight in, for almost hunting distances there.
  As you say, I did not expect a 'springer' rifle to be this powerful, it's quite an eye opener to how hard it hits.
Graywulf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graywulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:22pm
Yeh I know it's only a 'springer' but it's 'my baby' lol 
The 'lump' on the barrel is a bipod mount.
Scope an AOE 6-24x50 (probably overkill but was a reasonable price, and was 'recommended' as able to handle the recoil).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic