Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello to all

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello to all
    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
Hello, In day past I used to frequent the UK Airgunners site and recently found this one. I'm in Central Otago. Past airguns I've owned include: BSA Meteor .22, Crosman Bobcat .177 [Co2], and more recently a Crosman Quest .177.

The Bobcat was good for a time and I loved the bolt action but it was expensive to run. Each Co2 cartridge lasted for about 25 shots of decent power then the last 20 or so pretty hopeless. That Quest was interesting. I wasn't sure it would kill a rabbit - it sure did and I used the basic CAC boxes of pellets.

I'm looking for a replacement .177. I'm wanting to kill rabbits and possums. Budget of up to $200 and am looking for a NP.

What's out there on the second hand market and what do people recommend?
jusepy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusepy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:07pm
Have a look on trade me at some of the rifles townies buy and use them once, then sell for cheap as chips...
other than that do some googling on uncle google and research the rifles .
I use a Cometa fusion for rabbits but its well betound the $200 mark.'
I also have a Webley and scott which kills rabbits also , it is a .177 and the cometa is a .22
I would use a .22 personally if I was huntin rabbits though.

Just my two sence my friend , 
good luck to you 
As long as there is lead in the air...there is hope.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:53pm
Greetings. Yes TM probably your best bet. You will be able to use .177, but .22 better due to being able to deliver more wallop. Plus .177 more prone to wind, but if you get a deal on a .177 it will still serve you perfectly well. I have used .177 for rabbits, but it makes placement more critical. Keep us posted.
htr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 10:39pm
Thank you for the advice - I've revised my budget up - $300 might even get a scope in that price range. I've a small crib on the south coast with a healthy population of rabbits in the immediate neighbourhood as well as an abundance of rats and possums. I've pretty much sorted the rats with bait stations.

I'm happy with .177 and agree totally pellet placement is critical. The common range is up to 25m and often less. I've not shot a possum with a .177. I'd have to say that I'd be even closer than with the rabbits, prob' less than 10m. 

What's the process importing an air rifle from the USA?
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 10:58pm
Is that Wellington south coast? I don't know if you'll save money importing, but you should be able to, although getting harder to do.
htr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:26pm
South Coast as in South Island - further south than Invercargill!
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:34am
welcome bud,must be getting cold down there by now spent lot time hunting and working down south over the years love the place but gets too cold for me these days,spent lot time on the little island to over the years hunting white tails.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 10:33pm
Do you still have your bobcat?

Edited by Billbobnz - 21 Jun 2020 at 10:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic