Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pcp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusepy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pcp
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm
Hello ,
I have just obtained my FAL after years of hunting rabbits with my air rifles.
I was wondering how many people ,  when this happens go  to pcp or do they ditch the air rifles completely and move to .22 or 308's.
I am thinking of a pcp but why bother when you can basically get a 22 for half the price , I guess it depends on how you are going to use it or what you want too do.

Basically im asking are PCP's the ducks nutts or a waste of time'

Cheers

As long as there is lead in the air...there is hope.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:30pm
I use pcp for rabbits, and in some situations they suit for a few reasons. Where I go, there are horses, and so being so quiet the horses don't get spooked, and at 30 ft/lb they are a third of the power of a rimfire, so ricochettes aren't such a threat. I have shot a bunny at 110 m, but only once, but I am happy going out to 60/70 m on still days.
Yes pcp set up is more expensive, but ammo is cheap at 6 cents a shot. They are one way of doing it, and I think you're wise figuring out if you want to go down that track.
jusepy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusepy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:21pm
Hey pauly,'
where I shoot on the family farm is about 200 acres , a lot of rabbit activity around the main house and cottage I live in. An pcp would be ideal for smoking these cheeky ones while using a 22 rimfire down the back of the farm for the clever rabbits who seem to stay out of range of my air rifles.
Im going to keep an eye on trademe and also keep an eye on youngs airguns to see if any gems show up.
Is your pcp .177 or .22 . Im thinking a .177 wouldn't be as hard hitting as a .22 …. school me if im incorrect.
thanks
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:14pm
There was a benjamyn Marauder on trademe a couple of weeks ago for $750. That would be a perfect bunny gun.
Yes .22 dumps it's energy better. You can use a heavier 177 pellet, but placement becomes more critical. Other pros for 177 are the flatter trajectory, but a bit more prone to wind.
I use .22 for bunnies. 30 ft/lb, and it's plenty of power. I know a guy here in Wgtn that has a .22 BSA Goldstar that he could still have for sale. from memory asking $450. Single shot, 23 ft/lb, unregulated, but great guns. I can ask if it interests you?
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:07am
i am a country boy and use both 22rimfires and 177/22 pcps ,the airguns are perfect for around animals and close to house and buildings,far safer allround than any firearm,a 22 pcp if somewhere in the 23 to 35 fpe range will take care rabbits easily out to 60 meters with the 23 fpe rifle and out to 75 meters with 35fpe with heavier 18/24 gr pellets on calm days mt 177 putting out 22 fpe using 10 to 16gr pellets,i have no issuses using the 177 on rabbits out to 50/60 meters,its deadly om magpies and mynas out to further on calm days,down side pcps is their initial cost and cost of setting up to fill them,but i preferr the airguns for most things these days coz they can do most things a 22 rimfire can very well and can be used where i would never consider using any fire arm,as Pual said the airguns are less prone to ricohets and ammo costs less,safety a big consideration with 22 rimfires as is back stop and the fact a 22 rimfire bullet travels over a km and is still bloody dangerous,i now only use rimfires for feral cats/goats or putting an ill cow down ,if had to choose would get the pcp first,them buy good rimfire later,as both have their place,by choice i have several 177 and 22 pcps all at different fpe levels as gives me the choice in power levels and calibers to suit what i need to do bassically the more power a pcp has the heavier pellets they can effectivly use at high velocitys so the more energy they can carry for further and the better they handle wind etc and the less energy those heavier pellets lose over distance.personally i find the airguns far more versitle than rimfires so are far more useful to me.
 cheers mike
jusepy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusepy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:06pm
Thanks pauly , I’m just waiting for my plastic to turn up so I can’t buy anything at this stage.
I may be interested later on though.

It sounds as though I should venture into the pcp market as a lot of rabbits are in built up areas and with the gun laws being changed or becoming stricter it will work for me.
Thanks for your input guys.
What’s a good pcp to get into for my first one , is that one suitable pauly ?
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:16am
I haven't got hold of him yet, but yes it would be a good gun for rabbits. It's an old one, but a good one.
Also at that price it makes the entry into pcp a bit cheaper. The other things you need are a dive tank, or hand pump, and a fill line.
I will try and get hold of him again.
jusepy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusepy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:38pm
Thank you pauly,
What sort of price am I looking at for a dive tank and a fill line.
I think I will get a 22 rim fire first and then look into a pcp for around the section and cloer shots.

Can you tell me a bit about ths gun...
what caliber is it and how many fps is she ? I think you said it was a .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:44pm
BSA Goldstar, .22, single shot, micro cocking mechanism. From memory 22 ft/lb.
I've fired it a couple of times, and used to have one in .177.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:37pm
This is a good deal. complete set up.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2516155266
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic