Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paintball to .22 pellet conversion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:43am
Well.. I have had word from the tinkerer I sent the paintball gun to a year ago it may be finished soon-ish.. 
I dont have a lathe so I had to get some parts made for me - the bolt probe, barrel bushings, suppressor adapter etc - the things that will make the project work. 

Then Covid hit and time ran short and it has sat waiting in the list of airgun jobs he has. That didnt bother me at all as it was always for a bit of fun and covid has been a crazy time for many so the delay is perfectly understandable. (I have a FAS 604 that needs an o-ring change that has sat here for 6 months without getting time to do it!)

But looking forward to getting it back and seeing what sort of power it will be putting out. 
The transfer port is long given the nature of the valve location etc, so hopefully there is still enough expansion down the barrel to fling some lead. 

Will update once its back in hand. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:46pm
good to see you still beavering away at that one mate,there couple guys in US who make 22 machine guns out of paintball co2 guns pretty clever how they do it and works just as well on semi auto,cant remember where i came accross these guys,as was some time ago,they intending to manufacture them for sale but dont know how that went,as havnt seen anything bout them or their guns since,crosman did the reverse of what you are doing,as they made a paintball version of their 177 co2 357 revolver some years ago but discontinued making them proberly due to lack of sales as other new paintball pistols came out i guess,i knew of one these in nz but cant remember who owned it,but was a member of the old nz airgun forum.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

good to see you still beavering away at that one mate,there couple guys in US who make 22 machine guns out of paintball co2 guns pretty clever how they do it and works just as well on semi auto,cant remember where i came accross these guys,as was some time ago,they intending to manufacture them for sale but dont know how that went,as havnt seen anything bout them or their guns since,crosman did the reverse of what you are doing,as they made a paintball version of their 177 co2 357 revolver some years ago but discontinued making them proberly due to lack of sales as other new paintball pistols came out i guess,i knew of one these in nz but cant remember who owned it,but was a member of the old nz airgun forum.
 cheers mike

Lots of projects, not a lot of time.. This one wasn't forgotten but just out of my hands at the moment for the machining parts. If it turns out to be an ok shooter ill make a stock for it

I recall a crosman 357 that had a large barrel piece for paintball version, odd looking but im sure it would be fun.

Have a look at Air Ordnance; http://air-ordnance.com/videos/
its a belt fed pellet rifle, very recognizable as a tippmann paintball marker base (they are a tippmann company i think) using the paintball style blowback with a rod that rotates a thingy to index the next shot. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:18am
thats the gun was talking bout.pretty cool eh.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:38am
Well, back into this project - I finally got the bits done to get it together and running.
An alloy insert in the paintball bolt creates a narrower transfer port (gas has a long way to travel from the valve to the seated pellet)
The barrel has orings and the bolt seals over the barrel readu for the shot.

At the moment it needs some valvbe work - it still blows back after most shots; as a paintball gun its semi auto (this would be ok if it was machined to accept a multishot mag!!) but as ainbgle shot its wasted gas.
I have another valve on its way which i will just need to fill a hole to stop the blowback, then balance the spring strength to stop any valve bounce.

The barrel is around 19" with a couple of inches protruding into the massive 'fuel filter' suppressor.

As it is now the experiment was to see if a paintball gun sould be made to shoot pellets, and it definitely can. Accuracy needs to be tested but its all firm with no flex so that should be ok.
Consistency will be improved once the valve is sorted.

In terms of power, as it is its pushing out 11.3 footpound with 18gr JSB, thats with the wasted gas blowing past the valve..

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:25pm
Well, got it all scoped up with a little Bug Buster scope and tested at around 8m.
Standing unsupported with no cheek rest was a little hard but not grouping the best.
Also the scope is maxed out on windage and I was aiming 4” to the left of the group… so.. next
(Apart from cutting a groove in the valve pin for an oring to try remove the blowback still), is epoxying the rail to the body as it’s only got one small screw in it, then get some windage adjustable mounts and make sure the pellets aren’t clipping the suppressor.

And get some sort of stock for it!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:16pm
You tried differnt pelllets to tighten group? What are those bug buster scopes like? They caught my attention on the web.
All round that looks like it been a fun little exercise. Wheres the balance point on it.
Nice project.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by kruzaroad kruzaroad wrote:

You tried differnt pelllets to tighten group? What are those bug buster scopes like? They caught my attention on the web.
All round that looks like it been a fun little exercise. Wheres the balance point on it.
Nice project.

Not fully tested yet but been a fun project. Not making a match rifle so closing the group a little will be fine for me.

I need to get a stock to fit it as its a little hard to shoulder comfortably to get your eye right.
Its light weight and plenty of length to find balance - holding in front of the hose if pretty comfortable

The bug buster is a good little scope - ideal for this type of thing as well as your backpacker 1322 idea.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm
you not going to give up on this mate are you,we spoke bout this one time or two eh,never give up eh!! coz aint broke til you cant fix it anymore eh but fun project eh and really what its all about too,you never really know til you try eh,and we both know this one can be done.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

you not going to give up on this mate are you,we spoke bout this one time or two eh,never give up eh!! coz aint broke til you cant fix it anymore eh but fun project eh and really what its all about too,you never really know til you try eh,and we both know this one can be done.
 cheers mike

Haha yeah, not given up yet! Its got the potential to work so no reason to stop now!
Function is there, its just fine tuning the rest - valves are designed to blow back and thats proving difficult to change as the hammer hits from behind the gas - theres a bit of gas flow past the pin. An o ring should help stop it, if not i'll deal with it blowing back the hammer ready for the next shot.

Last test was 11 footpound so its not bad in itself, i changed to a new valve that didnt have JB weld patching it and also added a small expansion chamber so will see how its power is going soon. Atleast I have a decent supply of co2 on hand!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic