Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paintball to .22 pellet conversion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paintball to .22 pellet conversion.
    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:52am
So for the last 10-ish years i have had a paintball marker sitting in the garage. A hand-me-down from a brother in law that no longer wanted it. Its basic, but reasonable quality and all alloy. 
It uses co2 and is designed to shoot projectiles.. so.. I started investigating an idea i had to convert the .68 semi-auto marker to .22 single shot pellet. 

Basic idea is disable the blowback, and create a slot for bolt action like a Crosman 2250.

Below is the basic function of the paintball gun:

Then below the idea of the conversion:

First was solving blowback, this system uses a hammer to strike the valve pin, and a flat section on the pin allowing gas to flow through and reset the hammer. 
I filed the flat section rough and filled with JB Weld. When dry file and sand to fit the valve hole, and hope the gas is redirected to the pellet. 
This didnt work 100% as there was hammer bounce leading to a nice farting and wasted gas. enough to open the valve but not reset the hammer. I found there was around 5mm preload on the hammer spring.

Next step was a firmer but shorter spring, coupled with 10-15mm free flight for the hammer. This meant the hammer hit the valve pin then hit the firm spring to absorb the energy rather than throw it back at the pin. 

This worked just enough. Resulted in a hammer that flops around freely, but I can live with that.. 

Next was the breech, this was cut out with a half-buggered drill press, and a $4 Aliexpress end mill bit then filed / sanded to acceptable finish.

Next up is the Bolt; this will use the existing alloy bolt which is attached to the hammer. It was cut in two sections so pulling back cocks the hammer, then push forward to close breach. Filed, sanded and fitted with a neo magnet so the bolt can stay open when loading. 

Simple bolt handle made by a double end thread rod (Aliexpress), and cheap metal guitar knob (Aliexpress).

Cocking slot was precision cut on this same milling rig (cringe now):

But cut ok.. 

Filing will smooth the edges for smooth cocking. This is by no means planned as an exhibition or match grade rifle Wink

But, this is a bit of fun, and hopefully something functional at the end. Below is where I am at; a functioning bolt action single shot .68 paintball gun. 
(Also shows the 'fuel filter' planned for a suppressor. From.... Aliexpress)

Oh.. the barrel. It is now cut to 19", Crosman 2260 barrel. Good enough for this project. It will be mounted using .68 paintball barrel as a shroud.

NEXT steps involve a little more accurate machining than my hand tools can allow:
- bushes to centre the .22 barrel inside the .68 barrel
- an insert in the current bolt that will be a flow through probe to seal the barrel (like a 2250)
- muzzle end bush will need to be an adapter for the 'fuel filter' supp. 

The above will prove if it will function and to test the power. Updates coming soon. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm
Also adding updated pics and videos to Instagram #paintballtopellet for anyone on the 'gram.. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 1:27pm
That's a good enjoyable read thanks. Will await the progress.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:32am
that little project will keep you busy mate,good bit fun,
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

that little project will keep you busy mate,good bit fun,
 cheers mike

Yeah its a bit of fun. problem is I have to get it all functioning good to go, before I can see if it has enough power to be useful!
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:51am
if you dig around on utube you will find all sorts paintball to pellet conversions,paintball valve should put out plenty power for what you doing,and can be easily modified if needed,not that hard to make a new valve either,plenty to keep you out the pub for a while eh!lol.
 cheers mike

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:43am
Update: I trialled shooting loading a pellet into the barrel, then orings on the breech end of the barrel securing into the paintball bolt. This gave me a huge 1.8fpe!! and 180-230fps

So i did a trial with spring replacements based on assumption the valve is not being opened fully.
1) the short firm spring was replaced with a long firm spring - no free flight and minimal pre-load to try and avoid bounce
2) Conical soft valve pin spring was replace with a bodge job made from the firm spring - idea is the strong hammer spring opens it up fully, and a strong valve pin spring returns closed and resists bounce. 

It worked! not fully where i want it but it is now 7.8fpe, and much louder so a good amount of gas used.
The valve pin spring bent the last couple of coils where it was heated and widened to fit the seat to keep it centre - I have ordered more springs  (to try in a month when they arrive in a month from AliExpress) and will make a spring guide of sorts, to keep the spring seated centre without needing to be conical shape.

(Silver Springs are the standard paintball jobbies)

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 4:56pm
if using lot gas and not getting better performance,you may need to open up valve and free flow it a little to let gas flow faster thru valve,otherwise maybe still letting gas flow thru valve after pellet has left barrel,ideally gas should be just enuf to expand enuf to fill barrel up to time pellets about to exit barrel.any more gas is just wasting gas,really all about timing,co2 is thicker and heavier than hpa and runs some where in the 900psi range,more co2 dosnt necessarly mean more power,bassiaclly once co2 has expanded to fill barrel behind projectile it wont produce any more power,and just vent any remaining gas to no effect once projectile has left barrel,as co2 relys on expansion under pressure to expell the projectile,once it has no where to continue to expand,it cant continue to produce pressure behind the projectile,so is just vented and wasted bassically,bit long winded explaination but essentually how co2 works.
 cheers mike
Shaqa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:16pm
Nicely explained
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by dvlnme dvlnme wrote:

if using lot gas and not getting better performance,you may need to open up valve and free flow it a little to let gas flow faster thru valve,otherwise maybe still letting gas flow thru valve after pellet has left barrel,ideally gas should be just enuf to expand enuf to fill barrel up to time pellets about to exit barrel.any more gas is just wasting gas,really all about timing,co2 is thicker and heavier than hpa and runs some where in the 900psi range,more co2 dosnt necessarly mean more power,bassiaclly once co2 has expanded to fill barrel behind projectile it wont produce any more power,and just vent any remaining gas to no effect once projectile has left barrel,as co2 relys on expansion under pressure to expell the projectile,once it has no where to continue to expand,it cant continue to produce pressure behind the projectile,so is just vented and wasted bassically,bit long winded explaination but essentually how co2 works.
 cheers mike

Cheers! Nicely explained indeed. 
I think another issue with the test is that the paintball bolt is a 14mm cavity, so i guess once the valve shuts the gas is expanding in there as well as down the barrel?? 

Plan is the probe insert which will act as a narrow transfer port on 3-4mm, blasting directly behind the pellet... parts request is in the queue for lathe time with a certain tuner.

Once complete I can play with increasing valve volume, more springs etc etc.. 

Another update, I just picked up another cheap paintball marker for future project; this one has an electronic trigger that is super light compared to the current mechanical job.. 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic