Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mini lathe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini lathe
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:38am
i have an old apprentices text book here somewhere on lathe work Paul it tells you all the bassic stuff bout setting up and using a lathe if of any help to you let me know and will send it to you,really old book mate published by one the old english machine tool manufacturers for apprentices before second world war,but has all the bassics on lathe use mate explained in simple terms with pics.
 cheers mike
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:49am
nice! They are looking good! 
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:19am
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:54am
Thanks Mike. Yea, the delrin turns like butter, the black stuff is a bit softer, so I was thinking of getting some black delrin.
I'm still learning about angles for the tools, and got it right on some aluminium, using kero for lube.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
you getting very creative now Paul,dosnt matter eh as long as it works,you can buy all sorts round plastic rod mate,but guess as long the toasty thingy works you dont need to eh!!!
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:11pm
Last night I melted some HDPE on the toasty machine, rolled it into a brandy snap shape, yummm, then compressed it in an aluminium tube and got a turnable piece of black plastic. Photo shows the muck around bit I turned. There were a couple of air bubbles in it, which are the imperfections you can see. I have another bit I molded, and hope to have a better result. They will work well for baffles, and would be fine for ends, but they just don't finish as nicely.

Here's that bluing too.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:02pm
Funny you should say that Jono. Do you mean, kinda, like this?

or like this?

I have played around a bit with some different materials, and even had a go bluing this mild steel when I didn't have any aluminium. The white is delrin, and very white, which I don't actually mind, but black would be better.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:50pm
Pauly, perhaps you need to start making carbon fibre supressors... I know of one guy who could use some competition Wink
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 6:20am
that should work fine mate,the fist of many projects i would think,now you have the capablity to do things yourself,you will now be constantly looking for more projects mate.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:17am
Here's a screen shot of what I got. Baffles and all.

Figure I might drill out the threaded part and put a sleeve in that will slide over the barrel, and be held in place with a grub screw. This will be for a small air chief pistol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic