Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mini lathe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini lathe
    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:32pm
Well I scored myself a little mini lathe. Something I've wanted for a while now. This little guy was made by someone, and I think they've done a good job too.
My first project was to make a replacement adjusting screw, and also had to make a locating/retaining pin thingy for it. These adjusting screws are left hand threaded and fortunately the guy gave me a piece of left and rod. The originals look they had the top part welded on, as they appear to have a join, and this is where they failed. Anyway the pictures will tell the story.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:38pm
The other thing I tried when the 4 jaw chuck was fixed, was to face off the curved underside of this short piece of weaver rail. Turned out pretty good I reckon. A little rough, but perfect for me.

I am learning by trial and error with the lathe. I have been turning and facing anything I can find in the garage.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:14am
bout time paul,glad see you finally got yourself a really useful tool mate,as to left hand threads,if you get stuck call me,i can cut lefthand threads mate,you can allso buy left had taps and dies one at time as you need them ,you can if needed use these taps and dies in your lathe tail stock chuck if you make or buy proper tap and die holders for chuck mate,depending on motor type you maybe able to fit a reverse switch to it etc,but reality is you prob not going to need many reverse threads mate as not used for many applications,normally reverse threads only used for counteracting torque in opposite direction,thats why off side truck wheel nuts are reverse threaded ,now you got small lathe mate you guna allways now find excuses to need make things,its a desease some us had for lot years,i tend to make things rather than buy them if possible,just coz i can,you prob guna end up same now,if you get a small lathe mill vice setup to suit your machine you can then make most things a mill can,but will just take a little longer to make on lathe,and can be harder to set up for milling than a milling machine, but handy set of tooling to have.
 good luck with your machine and enjoy being now able to do jobs you couldnt do before.
 cheers mike
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 5:43pm
Thats a cute little lathe you got there buddy, hours of endless fun ahead of you mate.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:59pm
Thanks guys. Really enjoying the metal splinters in my hands too.
What sort of lube do you use for the bed, and general protectant coating?
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:30pm
I hardly touch mine, when i do i just use a light oil like 3 in 1 oil
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 6:31am
i bassically only lube the bed with wd40 and everything else has oil nipples i top up every now and again,the wa40 gets sprayed on everything exposed now n again mostly to prevent rust if not using machine much,wait til you get metal embeded in soles your shoes,it works its way thru til digs into your feet over time,now that can hurt,you missus guna love you taking little bitz swaffe inside off you shoes and leaving it embeded in carpet mate,it gets into your clothes ends up in washing machine and other things being washed,the wife will soon tell you bout it when that happens,like nunga says you guna have lot fun mate,i just buy cheap overalls wear them til they filthy then burn them and get new set,they never go in washing machine,too scared sharon to put em in wash these days,as libal to get hit with her golf club if i do lol!!!but good side is you can now tinker away in workshop making little bitz n pieces for you gun projects,fix things you couldnt do before and make all sorts things you used to need to buy or have some else make for you,you will wonder how you got by without a lathe mate,coz they so handy.
 cheers mike
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 11:34pm
If you look on Aliexpress or EBay, search Fuel filter, and you will see silencers. They just need the hole drilled in the baffles and end to suit calibre. only hassle is that they are 28 tpi, so ,y next project is to sort one out to fit. I got three to play with, as they were $14 each.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:44am
silencers for rimfire firearms are usually 20tpi,so wonder what these were made for??possibly lager calibered rifles been while since fitted one to a center fire rifle and cant remember the thread,these if coming from us will be made to get around us law hence not having center hole bored out,us law on suppersors/silencers lot tougher than ours,each suppressor must be seiral numbers to match a specific firearm,and can only be fitted to that firearm,they have get baft approval,pay $200 tax on each suppressor,its not like here pual,supprresors basically banned in aussie,can be jail time if caught with one.
 these suppressors will be part the huge us trade in unfinished gun parts mate,which are legal as long as are not sold as being completed parts,many gun parts only require a few holes being drilled to complete them,its huge busseness in the us,and has become the source of many the so called ghost guns used by criminals in the us as they tend to have no serial numbers etc and therefore are suppossed be untracable etc,your suppressors will be part this this gun part market i would think,they should be fine for airguns depending on whats inside them may affect how well they work on airguns,but a $ 14 each you got nothing to lose in trying eh,i often buy cheap 22 rimfire suppressors just get the body so dont have make the body,then make up guts to suit airguns,just saves lot work eh!!let us know how they work out mate,will keep you out trouble for while any way and be good fun projects as well,check it thread is straight to the center line of tube before you start as have found some cheap suppressors are bit out of line when fitted to barrel thread causing projectile to hit baffles inside tube and smaller you can make holes to clear projectile without touching the quieter they will be. have fun mate.
 cheers mike 
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:17am
Here's a screen shot of what I got. Baffles and all.

Figure I might drill out the threaded part and put a sleeve in that will slide over the barrel, and be held in place with a grub screw. This will be for a small air chief pistol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic