Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

xmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:03am
hi paul,solar going brillant,just had one lithium battery replaced,sh*t its self for some unknown reason bout month ago,just stopped charging,rest were fine so system kept going fine,we just didnt have full storage capacity,but bright side was we exported the extra power not going into that battery into grid so made more money than would have that was extra 15 kws we a day we got paid 25cents per kw for mate,so were exporting bout 40 kws per day for the last month not our usual 20/25 kws a day,we got new deal on power we buy now too,dosnt matter what price power is we now only pay 8 cents kw for any we buy in and still get average of 25cents for exported power,laughing all the way to the bank mate,our power bills now only bout $16/18 per month at moment and will get stage soon we wont have a bill for next 3/4 months,biggest bill we got all winter was $ 38 mate,so guess you could say solar working fine.
 cheers mike 
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:46am
Love it, that's great. Even though the turbines are a little unsightly, I love the concept of using wind and sun to generate power.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:37pm
yeah free power is always good.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:39am
we eventually want add 10 more solar panels and extra battery capacity so can go totally off grid and just export any eccess power back into grid if cant use it ourselves,i have a smartdrive washing machine motor am converting to a generator and will eventually hook that into the system as well,to give us ablity to generate constant half kilo watt even when no sun and at night etc,this will help keep batterys charged evan when not generating from solar for some reason,if had known bout salt water batterys when put in this system would have used them rather than the lithium batterys we have now,lithium may be the darling of the modern greenys but has its issuses for sure in an off grid power system,its not the best battery system for long term off grid use as lithium batterys are not as good as made out to be and have much shorter life span than salt water batterys ,which last for 20/30 years compared to approx 10 years for lithium batterys,we get free replacement lithium at 10 years max or replacements free if they fail as one ours has just done after only 18 months in use,after 10 years providing they are still working lithium we are told should still be working at approx 80%,but not sure believe that going on current experiences,our system garrenteed for 20 years with full service and replacement componants as or if needed,so no costs to us for that time period i guess we will just have wait n see how it works out eh!!
 but have no regrets putting it in as working fine and our winter power bills average only $38 over 4months of winter,so not complaining too much bout that,facts are tho we would take years if ever to recover the costs of installing solar,but that wasnt why we didso anyway,solar garrentees we will allways have power to run our water pumps and keep freezers running as well run the household at all times.
 we get constant power cuts like many rural dwellers,you totally cut off from all sevices these days without cell or internet connections which go out without grid power,nothing works around here when grid goes down all cowsheds have big generators round here,due to constant power cuts caused by old and badly mantianed local grid,most rural communitys have bad roads,disfunctional power and fone grids,no fast fiber internet those in citys all take for granted these days and will never have these services either,so we have to be able to stand on our own feet and just get on with things without outside help,thats the cost we pay for living independant life styles many in citys dream of doing but could never cope with due to lack  of what are everyday services taken for granted in citys eh!!
 cheers mike
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 2:54pm
if you are having problems converting the motor here is a site that you might find useful.

I did this a few years back myself. Do you have the 36 or 42 model?

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:36am
not sure what model it is nunga,the machine took it from we bourght bout 15 years ago,the guy who makes the turbines from smart drive has factory bout 15 mins from here and hes allways willy to help anyone putting together a turbine,how did yours work out??what sort of blade system did you use?? am thinking will use two half plastic barrels to make my turbine,as easy to fit an inertia type break to this system to prevent it over reving in hi winds and the barrel turbines have seen work well and are simple to make,tho still undecided if i should look at other ways to do it,any input you have would be much appreciated,like most things i get into just want to have a go at it to see if can make it work mate,i did make a turbine some years ago using a truck alternator for one our hunting huts,its still going fine but was pretty primative,the idea behind adding wind turbine is so can still charge batterys at night or when have no sun,the long term goal for us is to be totally off grid for power,its never been bout saving money to us ,its bout being independate and not having to rely on anyone else for any services etc we can provide for ourselves,i hate needing to rely on anyone to provide water sewage or power,and like most rural people we allready provide our own water and sewage systems,electricty the only one we not yet fully independant with,and thats changing fast.
 at present we only have 12 kva of battery storage and its not enough to be totally off grid for power,particually in winter when sun dosnt produce as much as summer,we need at lest 24kw in battery storage to get thru winter days with little sun to be totally off grid just relying on solar,so hence the wind turbine etc,we can go bout 48 hours with little solar generated at present totally off grid,allmost there but not quiet yet,its good feeling tho to know when rest area got grid power down we still operating as usual mate and with full services too,looking into new system were small power produces can net work and share eccess power between each other thru grid,hate the idea of power companys making money from power we put into grid,when the services they supply are expensive and not reliable due to not maintaining their grid etc, i hate big monopoly corperations any way,they dont care bout customers but only their share holders and been ripping public off for years,they know very well most dont have any choice today but use them,and expliot that to benifit themselves mate.
 dont get me started on lines companys mate they the biggest and worse of them all.
 cheers mike
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:22pm
I made my blades out of down pipe from the gutter they were quick and easy to make. I also had the barrel system that you are thinking to use, these are good if you are using a car or truck alternator because you can easily gear them up or down just by making the base smaller or lager. not too sure how that would go with the smart drive system tho because the barrel system normally drives the alternator from the base and with the smart drive you would probably have to set it up on the axle and you would have little control over the RPM.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:34am
thanx nunga,you proberly right bout barrels and smart drive motor,hadnt looked at it in that way,still just messing with ideas on ways to best use the motor,blade type turbine sounds like the way to go for it,how well did the plastic blades stand up to high winds??and what length did you make them and how many blades did you use??there so much info out there now on how to make wind turbines it hard to know which way to go ,seems like pretty much anything goes for turbine blade design,obviously the longer the blades the better they will work at low wind speeds,so i guess its a bit a comprimise to get blade design to work well in all wind speeds,my other thoughts were to use multiple blades of smaller length to catch more air at lower speeds,its all guess work i guess,just keep trying different desisgns to see what works best all round and in the wind speeds common here,just a fun project at present but do want get it right too.
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic