Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22cal NATO alloy airgun bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22cal NATO alloy airgun bullets
    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:52am
these are an interesting projectile,and i know very little about them,was given them sometime ago in zip loc bag by an old english airgunner i know who had brought them from the uk years before when imagrated to nz,unfortunatly he is no longer with us and didnt tell me any thing bout them,so am hoping some one can enlighten me on them.
 projectiles are 22 cal,weigh 16.3 gr and are made of i believe a zinc alloy of some sort,they look like a sptizer,rebated bottle firearms bullet with a hollow base. i was told they are use in some type military training air rifle,but never told what type of rifle,because of the rebated tapered boat tail design its possible they were used in some sort of co2/pcp cartridge made by Brocock or Saxby Palmer who made simialler cartridges for Lee Enfields/winchester rifles etc.as cant post pics will send one by post to any one in nz who may know what they are to comfirm etc,as would really like to know exactly what they are and were used in,not sure when they were made or where were made but believe made in UK sometime in 1970/80s,any help appreciated in solving this mystery.
 cheers mike
Edz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 9:32pm
Hey Mike, I think it was Hugh Earl in the UK back in the late 80s and early 90s who started making the Prometheus line of air bullets which included the Prometheus,Paragon and Dynamic Air bullets.I have a couple of boxes of the Paragon .22 cal which came with a zinc alloy head and green plastic skirt that was sealed from the alloy head so the head would not separate from the skirt on high power airguns.The Dynamic air bullets were solid zinc alloy.They were ahead of their time and probably hindered by inconsistent barrel tolerances of the day,but keeping with the times he offered different head sizes and the advantage of being eco friendly,and I believe the big pellet maker H&N acquired Pax Guns in 2014 and have started producing some of the original designs.Cheers Ed.
Ed.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:06am
thanx EDZ think you nailed that for me,never had a container for the alloy pellets so didnt know wot they were,have never fired any i have so have no idea wot they shoot like,dont like fireing any alloy or plastic sabot type pellets thru my barrels as really should clean any lead residue out to test them for accurracy and do same once tests done,then shoot lead thru them to settle barrels back down for lead etc,cant be bothered with that hassel eh!!,got couple pacs promethus 22 cal pellets one with black sabots ane with white sabots,purcased years ago, but havnt fired any those either for same reasons,never had much success useing the Remingtom 22 cal saboted accellerator rounds thru my 308 rifles back in the 1980s either,accurracy was mediocor at best,expect promethus pellets be simialler,as like the accellerator rounds they were made to give high velocitys i believe,barrel twist prob like the 308 proberly wont stabablise them well nuf for top accurracy,but still interesting bit history for airgun projectiles eh!!
 cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic