Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Projects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Projects
    Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:27pm
Its been a while since ive machined up any new parts due to my machinery been in storage, My mill is in the garage at the moment and ive broken the drive gear on it. I ordered a new gear for it a couple of weeks ago and i just got a phone call to say it is at the shop so ill pop over and grab it. Ive been thinking to come up with a new butt hook for the TX200, my hard case is a little short for my current setup and have to take the hook off to put the gun in its case. this is a pain and not practical when out on the firing line because the lid of the case will not close because the hook sticks out the side of it. Ive got some more flat alloy bar and ill see if i can come up with a new design hook that will not stick out as far, maybe just have two jaws and nothing else. Anyway i will be having a play over the next few days and see what i can come up with.

2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:14pm
so here is an update. Ive spent the last few days sorting out the TX. the last shoot i had a problem with the cocking arm coming loose out of the spring loaded ball bearing each time you fired the gun. I would take the shot and miss the target completely and when i looked at the gun the cocking leaver would be hanging loose dangling in mid air on closer inspection the arm looks to be too short to engage the bearing properly. I had a look online but couldnt find much so i decided to take to to ron at youngs. he couldnt work out what the problem was either but did notice that the leaver has a lot of play in it compared to a new one off the shelf. It was going to take a couple of days for him to strip it down and investigate but i needed it back for the mods i plan on doing so i took it back. I stripped it down and the only thing that i can see that would be causing the slackness in the arm is the cocking leaver shoe. I have ordered a new one from ron and ill pick it up when it gets in. This does not fix the problem with the gap between the leaver and the bearing tho. So i came up with a fix. I put a little earth magnet on the barrel and taped it on with some black duct tape so you cant see it. The leaver is nice and snug in there now and its not moving around anymore.

So back to the hook. ive changed my mind about the size of it again and im going to make a new standard size one and ill make a stand thingy for it to sit in while im out in the field and ill just leave the case for it in the boot of the car. The mill is working again so ill start on it today.  

MAGPIE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGPIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:18pm
Make one that attaches with magnets ..easy to pop on and off
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:40pm
The hooks are mage from alloy and 316 stainless steel. the magnets wont stick to that.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:07am
Yeah, I have to take mine on and off each time. But of late, I've taken the hook off just leaving the plate bit and it fits now. I have often wondered about putting the hook on a hinge, and will fold up into the butt when not needed, kind of like a pocket knife, or even a kick start lever on a motorbike.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

so here is an update. Ive spent the last few days sorting out the TX. the last shoot i had a problem with the cocking arm coming loose out of the spring loaded ball bearing each time you fired the gun. I would take the shot and miss the target completely and when i looked at the gun the cocking leaver would be hanging loose dangling in mid air on closer inspection the arm looks to be too short to engage the bearing properly. I had a look online but couldnt find much so i decided to take to to ron at youngs. he couldnt work out what the problem was either but did notice that the leaver has a lot of play in it compared to a new one off the shelf. It was going to take a couple of days for him to strip it down and investigate but i needed it back for the mods i plan on doing so i took it back. I stripped it down and the only thing that i can see that would be causing the slackness in the arm is the cocking leaver shoe. I have ordered a new one from ron and ill pick it up when it gets in. This does not fix the problem with the gap between the leaver and the bearing tho. So i came up with a fix. I put a little earth magnet on the barrel and taped it on with some black duct tape so you cant see it. The leaver is nice and snug in there now and its not moving around anymore.

So back to the hook. ive changed my mind about the size of it again and im going to make a new standard size one and ill make a stand thingy for it to sit in while im out in the field and ill just leave the case for it in the boot of the car. The mill is working again so ill start on it today.  

Hey, no doubt you / Ron may have investigated it but the tip of the cocking lever is threaded and winds in and out; i assume it wasnt wound in too much and lacking the resistence to hold up once cocked?
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:14pm
Yes! why didnt i think of that. problem solved thanks!

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

Yes! why didnt i think of that. problem solved thanks!

Wink
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic