Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCP Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:33pm
Thats a sweet pistol mercs, whats it like shooting with a scope? Ive just shot air pistols with iron sights.

I have a 2250b co2 rifle and a parts rifle, two steel breaches and three 15" .22 cal barrels, looking at nickel plating the parts to build a custom rifle since the cheap blueing is now getting rusty.. much prefer stainless parts since ive got the skills to tig weld and machine parts so a stainless steel co2 airgun will be on the to do list this year.

Found an intresting herald article online where Ron from youngs said its unlikely the semi auto .22 pcp rifle had the fpe to do what the cops said, police and one greedy MP (shes been kicked out of national hahaha) publicly stated that pcp rifles have the "same power as a firearm" when retailers aggreed to not stock the big bore rifles and only up to .25cal rifles are avalible to purchase now....
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:47pm
Heres the article   https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/odds-against-air-rifle-firing-fatal-shot-expert/76QMPYE47Q2DPOINHJ5N5YDS2Q/

The very next month   https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/high-powered-air-rifles-now-require-licence

And something i find quite interesting that police could be 300x more likely to loose a firearm than a licensed firearm owners, maybe they could address that public safety issue...   https://sportingshooters.nz/ssanz-blog/a-significant-distortion-of-the-truth/
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 5:54pm
Thanks for the links Rusty very interesting. I like my springers but would have been very tempted to have a PCP with a magazine for pest control. The British professional exterminators do some great work very safely and humanely from what I have viewed.

The pistols are a challenge to me whatever I attach to them.
At 10 yards I do as well with the fixed sights but not too good beyond that.
I  keep a look out for a dovetail reflex option and dovetail rear mounted peep sight to try.
Shooting from a rest with a riflescope fitted opens the range out if you can manage the holdover, actually once a rifle scope is fitted my stance adapts and I find my arms are braced in close to get the eye relief and can be quite stable.

Red dots are an improvement when it comes to sighting quickly but no more accurate however i do prefer them for ease of use, seen here on my Air Chief CP1-M. Dovetail options are hard to come by, but Nikko Stirling have one available in NZ at $100.

The Weaver pistol scope at $425 improves accuracy at distance but it takes practice to sight quickly at arms length, seem to be readily available on Trademe. Seen here on a 2250b fitted with a 10 inch barrel. Great results using SigAir Venom pellets on both air or CO2. Still considering a metal breech upgrade, Quick detachable mounts allow this scope to move easily between all my pistols which a great feature.

2250B with Gamo 4x32AO $140, rifle scopes can look out of place but give the most immediate improvement if shooting targets or clearing out some small pests.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:34am
police are just playing silly buggers over import licences but thats what happens when government bassically gave police the powers to decide whats importable or not or to interperate the law to suit themselves as has been done under labours bs new laws,pcp pistols are exempt from licence requirements.but they will only allow Ron to import pcp pistols under the same rules as rifles so in order to get import permit for pcp pistols he has no choice but sell to licence holder because they are on his licence,as for the commet bout some believing pcp airguns are as powerful as firearms many police now believe that because thats what they are taught in police training now many cops allso beieve that all pcp rifles are semi autos,just absolute rubbish of course  but the worlds full misinformation these days hence all the weird things people believe today bout covid,politics religion etcguns just one more to add to the growing list of misimformation out there people believe today,Puals right bout 2240/2250 co2 guns they are a good platform for tinkers to do all sorts things with though i am not a fan of the hipac system simpliy because it screws into the thin co2 tube and unless valve fixings are up graded for higher pressure correctly they are potentually very dangerous additions to a gun built for lower pressure co2 but if done properly they seem to work ok for an unregulated gun,seen few guns blown up with hipacs over the years,easy enuf to either buy or make a proper hpa cylander for 2440s and fitted with the right breech build pretty damn good pcp 2240 pistol.because the local supply of pcp pistols is limited to whats essentually in country certain people are pushing prices up simplily because they can to rediculous levels.
 cheers mike 
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm
"Police are playing silly buggers" over the import licenses.. not just those but mail order forms too, just recently got denied for a qb79 co2 rifle off trademe since the seller had a FAL it doesnt mean that a co2 rifle is a pcp rifle (shhhh we know theres not much difference.. apart from they will fail dangerously at pcp pressures) 2mths wait and no police email to seller or me so after two email's I get "unfortunely we won't be processing this aplication" I had thought of applying for a FAL but with the year wait to process and then being vilified by the police and general gullable anti gun public, why bother... just what the police wanted less gun owners in nz.

Maybe we need to reclassify police patrol cars as "specialy dangerous" and restrict access to fit & proper oficers who ain't on a power tripping adrenilin rush... since I've lost count of the lives of young people that have been lost to them over the last decade in high speed police pursuits, alot more than pcp rifles ever will. A rifles just a tool its the idiot that misuses it to cause public harm thats the problem same with a knife or even a vehicle.

Rant over lol looking at a Weihraunch HW80 .22 springer with my trademe auction refund if i can find a nice older mk1 in nz, ill drive as far as aucks to get one if I have too. Might ask Ron at Youngs if he knows of any around. Making a titanium piston on my toolmaker's lathe is an option since I've already ordered the custom aussie made piston seal and a Titan XS no.2 spring from the UK for the build cause I'll have to wait till USPS is shipping to nz again to get a Vortek spring.

Edited by Rusty - 19 Jan 2022 at 6:37pm
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 12:06pm
thats very definatly some one playing silly buggers as these rifles have never been lic required,the fact seller holds a lic dosnt apply,other wise following that logic by police would mean every lic holder who sells any airgun not a pcp rifle would only be able to sell to another lic holder which is total BS of course and taking it further would mean any lic dealer would only be able to sell any airgun not lic required to a lic holder,who knows maybe thats their eventual plan,i dont know the ins and out of that sale but could just be seller covering their but by specifying selling online only to lic holders too,police dont like QB co2 rifles anyway because too many were converted to hpa and then became pcp rifles under the law and many once modded to hpa were proberly owned by some without a lic,police are pareniod bout pcp rifles as others did mention.getting back to topic,Pual ans Mercs right there nothing wrong with a well modded and setup 22 cal co2 2240/2250 pistol they got enuf power for rabbits possums etc,the only down side is the cost of continually buying 12 gr co2 cartridges,which can get expensive if you want shoot a lot but plus side is you will have good pistol you can hunt with,the way things have become here now we sometimes just have to make the best of what we can get,or or find a pcp pistol you can by locally,or find someone prepared to convert a 2240 to hpa for you,and good luck with the last option as not many us building pcp airguns in nz these days.third option is to buy in a hipac unit and modd the 2240 properly to use it know quite few who have hipacs on properly modded 2240 pistols all work fine and no one i know has had any issuses with the hipacs.
 cheers mike
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:28pm
Yea mike playing silly buggers or just call it what it is.. bulls**t i can walk into hunting and fishing and buy any airgun but I can't now use the internet and courier services to purchase a collectabe and hard to find co2 rifle, air guns have hardly been a problem in nz and more a tool to develope firearms safety to new shooters aswell.

Ive found a nz source of 1010 grade seamless dom steel tube to remake the main tube of a 2240 to handle up to 1500psi, looking at 28.6mm od 2mm wall with 24.6mm id so i can use 3/4"14 bspf threads that use a 24.6mm drill hole on the pressure tube. Stock tube is 22mm id so i can gain some resovior volume and machine the hammer valve from 25mm dia 416 stainless barstock like a quackenbush air rifle, will just mill the steel breach i have to fit the larger diameter main tube.

Will make a sacraficed main tube and test it on a 5000psi hydro test rig and see how/why it fails for added safety. Im an engineer by trade so not the average diy airgunner playing with a hipac conversion, why not many guys building pcp airguns in nz anymore mike? Odd that i emailed youngs airguns and they couldnt source a .25cal barrel blank maybe they are restricted imports too.. airgun shop in whangarei were like "we dont sell barrels" guessing just expensive pcp rifles.

Edited by Rusty - 20 Jan 2022 at 2:37pm
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 12:40pm
i am an old school general engineer with 40 years of experence as machist as well,good to see another engineer getting into considering building co2 and pcp airguns,i gave up using steel tubing some years ago and build all my pressure vessels using suitable alliminium tubing now for my gun builds,have used certain types hydrollic tubing because its readily available and suitab;le for up to 10,000psi in some grades,one inch or metric 24 mm alli tubing with 2.5/3 mm wall thicknes will safely handle up 10,000psi evan lower grades like 2024t2 are suitable,have seen lab tests using 2024t2 tested to 10,000 and have rested myself to 4500psi,i read some where years ago that crosman used test 2240 cylanders to 3400psi,dont know if thats still current today but would think proberly is.as to Ron not selling barrels have purchased many 2260 barrels from Ron and he did manage to get me a green moutian barrel works 25cal barrel they make exclusivly for crosman custom shop couple years ago that crosman dosnt sell normally have been sitting on this barrel ever since looking for a project for it,and just found that project,as i have munted hatsan AT44 pcp rifle in 177 cal coming shortly that some one has very crudely modified into a single shot for some reason by opening up breech loading port and removing all the mechanical componants for the mag etc i intend to use the 25cal barrel and rebuild hpa system to suit 25cal and rework breech to use crosman maurder rotory mags and hopefully end up with a 60 plus fpe 25 cal rifle,as to why virtually no ones still building pcps havnt a clue on that one,but guess pcps not everyones cup tea and there is the firearms lic thing for pcp rifles,allso anyone building any airguns for sale now needs a dealers lic,i dont build guns for anyone else these days am retired so got plenty my stuuff to do,and no longer hold a dealers lic either as there is no monet to be made building any type guns its not worth the cost of mantaining a dealers lic any more or the hassels that come with holding this lic either.the way the law is in nz these days its just not worth getting involved in building or evan working on airguns or firearms for anyone else without the dealers lic.
 cheers mike
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 9:29pm
Aluminum hydraulic tubing seems interesting for an air tank Mike, is that theaded end caps or pinned? Think I'll test out steel DOM tubing first and was thinking of a disposable screw on 88gram co2 tank for a pistol build, guy on another forum tested one to 19,000 psi before failure and there are 95gram ones on ebay.

Didn't know ya needed a FAL dealers license to sell airguns, wouldn't be much money in building them anyway just be cool to have a nz designed pcp rifle built here that looks more like a classic firearm than a transformer child lol kinda not joking some new pcp rifles trying to look tech advanced just look ugly. Quackenbush rifles look more tradional styled but good luck getting one of those.

I didn't think of ordering a 2260 barrel off Ron, just asked if he can import a barrel blank for me. Want to go .25 cal with my airgun builds if I'm going to the trouble of custom made parts.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:02am
i use 25mm 6060t5 allinium tubing for many pcp builds and larger 32mm tubing as well both have 3.25 mm wall thickness evan  one inc 2024t2 tubing with 2.5 mm wall thickness perfectly fine for over 4000psi have seen lab tests done using 2024 up to 10,000 psi using this same aircraft tubing i dont bother threading end caps etc 4x 6mm cap screws work just fine.
 regarding dealers lic to sell airguns,that applys if selling/working/building airguns on regular bassis if nz police consider its a money making enterprise or busseness,the interpritation is entirely up to nz police.the licence requirement to import and sell is on the condition they will issue the import licence to a dealer only if dealer agrees to sell only to lic holders,as police can put whatever conditions they like on import permits now under new gun laws as government has given police complete autonomy on how they apply and administer the gun laws there isnt anything we can do about how police apply the law or how they interperate it,essentually nz police can now do whatever they like on import permits and put any conditions they like on issusing permits,there is no restritions on calibers if building guns yourself build 50 cals if you want,good 308 cal firearms barrel make excellent high powered pcp guns,essentually if you going to build pcp airguns for yourself you can do whatever you want as long as not full auto,but if building pcp rifles or converting co2 to hpa with rifles i strongly recommend having a firearms lic.
 hope that helps,cheers mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic