Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCP Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm
What do you want to shoot, use it for?
There's a couple of nice single stroke pneumatic pistols on trade me at the moment.
Weihrauch or Air Arms are the Springer to go for.
Player01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
Feathers, plinking around the property. Sounds silly, but I just want one because I know FX and Benjamin pistols are very good quality and just like all my other toys I own that I can if possible get the best quality for money possible over just junk without sounding like a twat. 

I have seen the ones on TradeMe, but wanting something more powerful that I can purchase, but its in a bit of a grey area second hand from what I've learnt talking to Magair. FX Ranchero or a Benjamin Marauder is what I'm after. 

I got myself a Zoraki .22 Ultra a few months ago and have enjoyed that and feel like I need to upgrade now, but have found myself needing to learn about the reasoning behind the restrictions which I have now learnt so may have to settle for either a good springer or get a FAL. Just seems like a huge amount of work for one PCP pistol personally,.

AA or Weihrauch rifles are what I'm leaning towards now until a pistol pops up if that happens.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:49pm
So thezoraki fills the ssp slot.
I have a HW97k along with pcp rifles, and it is just as accurate and satisfying to shoot. So if you want accurate, fun, something for the odd rabbit,or pest I would recommend one.
Otherwise just keep your eyes peeled for one I guess.

If you decide you want a pcp rifle, I have a .22 cyclone for sale. With the right silencer and on low power it's so quiet you really only hear the pellet hit.
Player01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:13pm
Indeed, it fills the slot, but was just more intrigued by the whole pistols side of things even though it is not as practical as a rifle. 

Between those two air rifle manufactures does it just come down to personal preference? 

Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:22pm
I know this is an old thread, just wanted to post here to confirm the info on this site and other nz forums that a pcp pistol doesn't require a FAL to own one just to purchase new from Youngs because of the revised import laws.

Where does a converted bolt action co2 pistol (crosman) sit legally if it's modified to run on 1000-1200psi compressed air for better shot consistency target shooting?
Reading the arms act there is no mention to pcp pistol being a specially dangerous airgun just the pcp air rifle that by legal definition is over 762mm with a shoulder stock, any info would be appeicated since there's no local arms officer in my town to ask..
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:04pm
I don't know the exact definition on the law, but my understanding is that a pcp pistol doesn't need an FAL, but if you put a stock on it to make it a carbine, you will need an FAL.
So if you were to convert a 2250 to HPA you will need an FAL, but if you convert a 2240 without the stock, you will be ok.
A Marauder pistol is a good example.
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 12:05pm
Kinda what I thought, hpa conversion of a crosman pistol would be OK if there was no carbine stock attached making it a hpa rifle.

Marauder pistol be sweet but not that common to find in nz and sold without a FAL, might buy some 1020 steel DOM tubing to remake the crosman main tube to get rid of the factory stamping on the stock 2240 tube that compromises the strength of it. Airgun parts don't need an import permit so I could buy the US made hpa tube and other parts needed.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 12:48pm
I have a Marauder pistol I am lookingto sell, just haven't got around to putting it up on trademe yet.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 12:48pm
I think the requirement for PCP pistol to need FAL is more about that being a condition of importation of the guns. Police have tried to do it with other air pistols too - Zoraki, Umarex etc. But they dont require FAL in legislation so the likes of Youngs denies the permit approval if that is a condition.

So pistols imported with that condition need FAL, pre-that they do not (i believe). Youngs mentioned that if the item is imported with that condition, then subsequent ownership SHOULD have that condition also - so should be sold to a FAL owner. It would only ever be known if the gun was looked at by the police for any reason and found that it was imported with the FAL condition...

Doesnt make sense to have some pistols that require FAL and some that dont.

So 2240 converted to PCP should be fine as it isnt imported with any conditions.
J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:29pm
Air Pistols are known to increase in number inexplicably inside the gun safe.

Higher power PCP pistols do not come available and low power 6 ft/lb target pistols only occasionally and they will be in the $1500 to $2500 range.

Crosman 2250 and 2240 options can be a lot of fun and should be less than $300 new.

Conversion to HPA High Pressure Air at 850 PSI improves consistency with tank and hose approx $175.
However 12 gramme CO2 at $2 will deliver a good session of >20 effective shots in .22 calibre.

Modifications start from day 1 but either the pistol or carbine with an upgraded breech from Youngs will be under $400.

All sorts of tweaks available on youtube.
They are often referred to as the Rat Catcher and great fun at 15 - 20 yards.

2250B with LH breech and Weaver pistol scope operates on air or CO2 $875

Edited by mercs - 09 Dec 2021 at 9:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic