Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCP Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCP Pistols
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:49pm
Hi all, 

Just signed up so I can start asking some questions and learn more. I was looking on TradeMe the other day and was watching a PCP pistol that was advertised on another NZ forum. It was the FX Ranchero in .22 which I didn't bid on as when auction was listed it stated that you need a FAL which is what I thought too, but after auction had closed I read people in the comments were saying you don't need a FAL due to the length as it is not over 762mm long. Gave Youngs Airgun Centre a call today and learnt that due to the recent law change 18 months ago if PCP pistols are imported into the country after that law change which requires a FAL to import they then require a FAL to be sold, but any pistols that were purchased before that can be sold without a FAL needed. Make sense? 

So I thought this would be a good place to start to possibly find one that somebody is selling 

Edited by Player01 - 16 Jan 2018 at 10:56pm
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 12:02am
Hi there,

Yes they are becoming rare pcp pistols. Yes that makes sense to me.
I hope you find one.

Paul.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:56am
I'm not a lawer, so I may be completely wrong. As far as a know, it is not against the law to own or sell a pcp pistol without a FAL. But the police have found a somewhat underhand way of limiting access to air pistols by making it difficult to get an import permit. I suspect that they made it a condition of Ron's import permit that he only sell to individuals with a  FAL. I don't think the police can control who the original buyer then sells the pistol to.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
Player01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:23pm
Hi, 

Thanks for the responses. Does everybody here that owns the more powerful PCP pistols have a FAL or needed one to purchase? Besides Youngs Airgun Centre I don't think there is any other airgun shop that brings in the PCP hunting pistols. I purchased my first pistol which was a Zoraki HP-01 Ultra a couple of months ago, but have found my self caught by what i've read is called the "bug" haha so looking at getting something a bit above the current pistol that I own. He told me due to him having to bring them in with a FAL, they therefor require a FAL to sell on. So my only chance is secondhand which is why I thought this would be a good place to start.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:39pm
I own a marauder pistol with stock, aka P Rod, and do have my fal. I had a second one that I sold in pistol form to someone without a fal.

You could look at the crosman 2240 type pistol. They are CO2, by they are accurate and based on the same platform as the P Rod. There's also something like an air chief cpm1 m. Again CO2, but has a magazine.

Have you tried magair?
Player01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:45pm
Yes, I have looked at that option, not keen on CO2. I'm not bothered really about the magazine, single shot would be fine. I looked on there website, do they stock more in store than they advertise on their website?

Edited by Player01 - 18 Jan 2018 at 7:32am
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:23pm
I would email Alex there. He can tell you if they have anything in stock.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Player01 Player01 wrote:

Yes, I have looked at that option, not keen on CO2. I'm not bothered really about the magazine, single shot would be fine. I looked on there website, do they stock more inshore than they advertise on their website?

They do stock more than whats on their site. It would be best to ring him, if he hasnt got what you want he can probably get it in no problem.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Mintie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 5:12pm
PCP pistols are pretty hard to come by in NZ, and yes some people will be reluctant to sell them to a buyer without a FAL due to pressure from the police. As other have suggested the Crosman 2240 CO2 pistol could be a good place to start and there are ways to turn them into a PCP via a hipac or regged bottle etc. 

Do you have the means (tank or pump) to fill a PCP? Are you not able to get a FAL or is the extra cost putting you off?
Player01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:44pm
Oh, I have no idea about converting/modifications possible to the 2240 CO2 pistol.

I would just be using a pump not tank if I got a pistol. 

Had a big talk to the very helpful and friendly lady at Magair. Pretty much at this point second is my only option for a PCP pistol. That being said if I cannot find one around NZ on the forums or TradeMe I might have to settle for a high quality springer I'm thinking.

AS for FAL, I could get it, but yes, costs add up, gun safe requirements are very strict and I cannot go bolting one down at this point, all for a PCP pistol. Not that desperate for one :)

Edited by Player01 - 18 Jan 2018 at 7:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic