Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCP Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCP Pistols
    Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:17pm
I know of the first model in the country, and hear there is a mk2 possibly.
picante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:39pm
Leshiy I think is 742 ,not so confident on the hatsan altho is going to be supressed. Fingers crossed
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:18pm
I certainly hope you get them. Yes ordering and getting them sent is easy, but getting them approved by NZ Police and customs will be the hard part, especially if they are shorter than 762 mm.
Keep us informed.
picante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:50pm
Not quite following suit but I've just put in a permit to import a pcp pistol.
I am unsure how it will go as its already on order.

I've ordered an edgun leshiy, and a hatsan jet 2 that was pretty cheap as another work gun as far as I can tell it's pretty straight forward.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

CuteRabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 3:21pm
CryCryCry Many years ago, I heard people playing PCP loss 3 fingers for the failure of the container. You don't want a pre-charged bottle in your short pocket, and you fall onto the ground, the pistol just explode between your legs...EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed lets play with the rifle
Squirrel goes Vege

@Crosman Benjamin Ironhide .22 Nitro Piston Elite
@Umarex Surgemax .177 Gas Ram 1000fps
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 1:38pm
the only prob with lead head nails is the alloy not very consistant,and they allso often contain a % of antiminy,this metal is what makes lead harder and allso allows lead to be heat treated harder again,i personally wouldnt use lead head nails to produce airgun pellets or bullets unless alloyed in very small quantiys with pure lead  because antinimy will lead the barrel with unlubed airgun ammo,as airgun barrels are normally softer than firearms barrels they are easier to damage getting the lead out of the bore,you can use a bronze brush in firearms but doso to an airgun barrel will likely destroy the barrel.
 the cast boolite forum is primerilly bout firearms but there are a few airgun cast bullet shooters on this forum,some of whom do know what they are talking about,but like many US forums there are plenty of self proclaimed arm chair experts as well,the world seems to be full of these so called experts today on most things,you dont need tin to cast top quality lead bullets,getting the mould temp just right is bit of an art many never quite master,but is the secret to casting excellent pure lead bullets,if mould is too cold you get undersized wrinkly bullets if too hot the bullets get a frosted colour and will allso be undersized and crystalize the exteriour of the bullet not saying i am an expert but have cast and shoot proberly several hundred thousand cast bullets in hand moulds over the past allmost 50 years and proberly several million in hi speed casting machines as a commercial bullet maker for 12 years i had to produce top quality bullets just to sell them and never had any complaints or returned bullets,as said casting top qiality lead bullets is bit of an art,but with pratice and patience anyone can learn how cast excellent lead bullets,you will learn to know exactly when mould temp is right because bullets will be bright and shiny with no wrinkles and once mould gets too hot the bullets become frosted,and time to let mould cool off,allinium/brass moulds heat up faster than cast iron moulds so you tend to get less good bullets before alli /brass moulds get too hot,there nothing wrong with alli moulds if you only want to cast smaller numbers of bullets in a session and they cost less to,my sujjestion if buying alli moulds get a 4 cavity mould rather than a single cavity mould.
 cheers mike
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 5:46pm
Will be useing 1% tin from the 50/50 solder in the pure lead to help it flow better into the mold, spent abit of time on the castboolit forum and resisting the urge to hoard lead wheel weights from the local tire shops lol

Got my scrap roofing lead offcuts from a metal recycler website since the local scrappy closed years ago, bout 80 bucks for 10kg couriered.. not that bad if .30cal pellets are 40 bucks a tin.

Roofing lead and lead head nails are the only source of pure lead around for airgun ammo.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:31am
airgun projectiles are normally made from pure lead,tin makes the alloy bit harder but in the right quantitys easier to cast in moulds,adding tin to alloys for swaging requires a lot more pressure to swage the bullet,big difference between bullets for firearms than bullets for airguns,bullets for firearms need to be lubed to prevent them leading up the barrel badly,and noramlly harder to better resist the significantly higher pressures and stresses put on bullets in firearms,purpose of lubing bullets for firearms is to help reduce the bullets leading up barrel,airgun bullets dont need lubing which is normally caused by the heat from gunpowder partually melting the base of the bullet,and leaving that residue in barrel,this can be reduced by copper gas checks on the base of harder lead bullets in firearms,it is possible to fire hard lead bullets in firearms up to 3000fps if bullets are wrapped with teflon tape with good accuracy,but normally lead bullets in firearms are best kept to no more than 2500fps max,unlubed soft lead as used in airguns wont significantly leave lead residue in barrel,but residue will build up slowly over time in airguns and needs to be removed to maintain accuracy,unlubed soft lead bullets can work extremely well in high powered pcp airguns at velocitys in the 1000/1500fps range,its possible to drive airgun bullets up to higher velocitys with good accuracy as well but generally to gain more energy in airguns bullet weights and calibers are increased and veloctys kept below 1200 fps,good source og info on shooting soft lead bullets in pcp airuns can be found on utube on US varmunt shooting posts and forums,these guys know what they are doing and talking about and are normally using calibers in the 25/30/35 range with decent weight projectiles at quite high velocitys in US made rifles some using nitrogen rather than hpa as nitrogen produces higher velocitys due to being thinner than air higher volumes can pass thru valve and is more free flowing than hpa,i believe swaging soft pure lead bullets produces the best bullets for airguns,as casting soft pure lead is more difficult to get good clean consistant weight bullets than swagind can,i can get swaged soft lead bullets to stay within 1/10 of a grain in weight,its not possible to cast pure lead bullets to that same consistancy.interesting topic.
 cheers mike
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 8:01pm
images.jpeg-767.jpg

It's another interesting part of the hobby making ya own ammo like building up a custom airgun, the bob's boattail bullets for airguns are the next developement from most swaged slugs you can buy, rather keen to make a mold for the 52gr bbt .25cal drawing I posted should stablize in my barrel with the 1:18 twist to 900fps.

Edited by Rusty - 17 Feb 2022 at 8:05pm
Rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 7:49pm
Well thats way more than a few bullets, think their will be more reloading now with this ammo shortage.

I've just got some new roofing lead flashing offcuts and 50/50 lead solder bar to learn to cast by hand, will be making my own molds and just have to run a pellet through my .25 cal barrel to find out the groove and land diameter to size the cutting tool +0.001 over groove diameter. 40 bucks for 150 .30cal pellets id cast my own if NOE makes a run of their hunter pellet molds again its modeled off the jsb pellet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic