Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shooting Secrets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snoobab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting Secrets
    Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 11:00am
I've never been one for hiding any techniques that have helped me get better at this. Hoping to start a thread where anyone can state their top 5 issues that they consider when taking every shot. Note - I shoot a springer for the sole reason that one must be disciplined to get any consistency out of these things. Its taken me years to master this thing. Feel like I've tried everything twice or more, looking for the best ways to get solid.

Mine tips are -

1. Am I naturally pointed at the target? (most obvious). Adjust as required.

2. Is the rifle balanced across my hold (I cancel out nose heaviness by sliding my stock hand fwd enough to still the cross hairs). I used to religiously keep my hold the same but I've found that elevation shots or offhand shots messed with me too much. I go now for the balanced feel and nothing more. This is important for kneelers. You cant have your rearward front support when kneeling. I've found that if i get this 'feel' then the shift in POI is minimised going from position to position.

3. I give the rifle a fake jerk to simulate a shot - this free's up any false unrepeatable points in my hold, such as tight shoulder or bad knee support.

4. With no trigger hand engaged at all, am I on target? With it lightly on? - I purposely test the amount of resistance i feel when i drag the hairs left and then right. If they seem the same then the pellet has a chance of hitting home. If you let fly with on side tighter than the other you will see it flick hard to the tight side.

5. Now forgetting all else, slowly slide the trigger back in line with the muzzle/target, only when crosshairs are on, millimeter by millimeter. Keep staring at the target, not the hairs. - You will see the round in the air better that way. Keep looking for it after the shot is gone. Looking at the hairs causes me to snatch sometimes so now I try to let my subconscious tell me when to apply pressure

Hope some of that helped somebody who's struggling to get their beloved to shoot straight. If you've got issues, throw them up on here. Most are fairly easy to solve IMO

Shooting in the wind is a whole other topic. No use even looking at that until you get the firing cycle at 25m down pat.

Cheers
Tim
"I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes".
- Hunter S. Thompson
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:47pm
One thing that has always stumped me is... Is it the pellets that are no good in the gun or is it they way i am shooting the gun.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 9:24pm
(1) Natural Point of Aim - as above by snoobab, if youve got to work to keep on target then youre just making it harder on yourself. If the rifle rests on target when youre in your position, you stop your body having to do extra work, and your rifle will stay on target easier

(2) once im there ill get my focus/paralax sorted, load the pellet, do any click adjustments, and before getting into final position I make sure the auto safety is OFF. nothing throws your shot mentality better than pressing the trigger on what looks to be a perfect shot - only to find out the damn safety's on :)

(3) breathing - pulse.    some people say the natural pause at the end of exhaling, others say pause halfway through exhaling, some hold their breath, the arguements are all there.
I try and keep the adrenaline and heart rate down, keep breathing calm and consistent. personally I'll take the shot when I feel comfortable and on target. just a short pause in breath as a i take it. works for me anyway.

(4) an obvious one now, follow through. watch the pellet impact, or at least see where it hits. It might not save the shot you just missed, but it will tell you where the next one might go.

Im sure theres heaps more, but thats a couple i try and stick to that standout as important to me
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic