Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Canterbury airgunner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagogx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Canterbury airgunner
    Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 10:54am
Hi all. Just came across the forum. Had an old Cometa V as a kid and recently decided to get back into it. Few years in between as I'm now mid fifties lol. Anyhow.I bought a gamo whisper from trademe and found it had plenty of power but inaccurate (might have just been me). I decided to upgrade and got a Diana 350 n tec in .22. Very nicely made gun and am slowly getting the hang of using it.

I do have a question : using online air gun calculators I get a fpe rating of 38, using 18grain pellets at the guns fps of 975. This seems rather high. Can it be correct? Surely Im missing something here.

Edited by Nagogx - 13 Jul 2017 at 12:00pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 12:30pm
Hello and welcome!

Did you put that through the chrony? or are you just going on whats on the box?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 2:32pm
Yes often gun specs are over rated.

If you don't have a chrony, there are some apps for your phone that will work. Haven't used one but others have.
Nagogx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagogx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by nunga nunga wrote:

Hello and welcome!

Did you put that through the chrony? or are you just going on whats on the box?

Hi. Yep, just going off the specs on the sellers website. So clearly it's probably producing way less velocity, especially with the heavier pellets?
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:24pm
that would be correct, they get their specs from the lightest pellets they can find then probably add 10% for good measure :) I would say realistically it is probably  putting out 7-800 fps tops and with heavier pellets probably even less. I dont know of anyone here that owns one to confirm that either way tho.  Like paul said, maybe get an app for your phone, it might not be 100% but it would give a general idea. But they are a good rifle and you will enjoy shooting it regardless of its power, it will still have more than enough knock down power for bunnies and possums.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:02pm
Hi,
Welcome. I'm in Canterbury too (West Melton). I have a Diana 52 side lever, which is my favourite air rifle. It gets 18 to 24 fpe depending on the pellet type.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
Flub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:07am
My 350 n Tec is doing around 19fpe from memory with heavy pellets. Sorry but I last checked it about a year ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic