Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello all, new guy in town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello all, new guy in town
    Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 6:50pm
Hello folks,
My name is Pat and I am looking at getting into air guns. I used to have one yonks ago when I was a kid in the US. Now I am in NZ and I am getting into hunting so it looks like a good place to start. I have a crossbow as well. I have my FAL. I am interested in the PCP guns, especially the bigger bore ones. I noted that there has been a debate going on about them. Of course I think it is fine to require that the more powerful ones be limited to folks who have an FAL, no brainer there. What I am wondering about is..what are the legalities of buying or importing them? The only things I have seen around are .177 and .22 cal but I would like a .357 or .45 for deer and pigs. Frankly, I just like the lower ammo costs and I do not mind doing more stalking. It seems however that our government does not understand that a .357 PCP, while deadly, has a far more limited range and punch power than a powder burner of the same caliber. 
Does anyone on here have any experience or advice about the bigger cals? My family is in the US so I can easily have one sent over. I am curious about the import red tape and if I can even get one in the country or not.
Thanks heaps,
Pat
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:56pm
Good afternoon Pat and welcome!

I know they have changed the law a couple of years ago to the import laws. They have made it harder to bring in now. Your best bet would be contact your local arms officer and ask him what the in's and out's are now. I know a lot of the online places in the states will not send a complete gun to NZ but with you having family over there that takes care of that little problem you might get

As to experience in the bigger cal aid guns i have only had .25 but that was more than enough to take out a pig and even a deer if you could get close enough to it. Im sure there will be others here that can give some good advice.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:46pm
Hi pat, welcome fellow WellingtonIan
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 10:18am

The Police have a web site that details the process of importing a firearm and a PCP is deemed to be a firearm. You need an import permit.
Seeing you are a Wellingtonian you had better get a .177 so you can play at the Wellington Airgunners range at Wainuiomata. Every second Sunday (11th is next one)
Doubt we would welcome a big bore PCP as it is indoors and the target may not or will not stand big power.
Might be okay if you leave the spinners and FT knock downs alone.
Rawhide will let you know.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 11:11am
Yeah, I think the rule for FT is 28lbs and in .22  cant see a problem with shooting paper targets tho that 28lbs rule was setup to protect the knock down targets.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 11:24am
Couple of guys have .22 up to about 28 I think?
Mintie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Pauly5 Pauly5 wrote:

Hi pat, welcome fellow WellingtonIan

On point as always!

As others have said it's just a matter of getting an import permit which is a fairly easy process but it doesn't happen in a hurry, and if its something borderline legal (at or below min OAL or a semi with a pistol grip etc) they may want to have it sent directly to the arms office to have it inspected.

irwanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irwanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 7:20pm
Welcome here Pet :)
samba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 5:37pm
Thanks for the advice folks. Yeah, I am all down with using a small cal to target shoot but my main interest is hunting and I would prefer to not use powder if I can go that way. So, I am planning to get a .22 for practice and a .357 or so for putting meat on the table. Once I decide just what the .22 will be, I am sure I will see you guys at the range. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with importing a larger bore to NZ. 
As for bring down a deer or a boar with a .22 or .25....I would rather not take my chances with doing a half assed job so a larger cal is advised so I do not just wound the animal.
Do any of you guys hunt or pop the occasional bunny? 
Cheers,
Pat
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 8:27pm
Yep i go bunny shooting all the time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic