Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo trigger guard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
Now there is a tip and less heat needed. 
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 11:22am
Oh by the way i did not have a trigger guard. If you no longer need it might be a good idea for me to move this topic over to the technical section as there seems to be a lot of good information here.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 12:33pm
Interesting , I had not heard of the solder, but I had heard of the Al brazing rod, but I didn't have any of that either.

One of the problems with welding small parts is that Al melts at a lower temp than steel so you can't tell by the colour when it is close to melting temp.
Being a very good conductor of heat the first you know is when almost the whole part turns suddenly into a slumped mess. Guess how I know Embarrassed

Thanks for looking Nunga, but no, I don't really need another guard any more.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
With the crappy weather over the weekend I have done some more work on the Gamo Hunter. I put the stock back on and fired a couple of shots out the porch, only got 500 fps with jsb exact .177s - bugger.
So I took it apart. Seal stuffed. Put a new seal in. Now got 800 fps much better but not awesome. Breech seal looks ok, Hmm, I'll have to try a different spring or a gas ram.
Then I noticed the barrel was not locking securely in place. Just waving the rifle around or a gentle tap on the barrel was enough to make the end of the barrel drop a few mm's. This will not do, I thought. Google is disturbingly silent on this topic. Oh no I'm going to have to think for myself like the old days.
I can see 3 things that could cause this problem.
1. The latch spring is weak.
2. The latch faces have worn.
3. The barrel lock up in place has always been crappy.

I decided that angle the latch faces meet (due I expect to 2 and 3 above) was wrong and made it too easy for the latch to pushed in.
I think I will need drawings to explain, but I ended up modifying the angle of the spring latch in the breech and the shape of the fixed latch on the front of the compression chamber.

Now it's sweet as, the barrel/breech stays put until you give it a firm slap to break it.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 11:01am
so what you are trying to describe is you made a new pin latch with different angles?
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm

That trigger guard trigger guard has been on my mind. The way I have taken all the black plastic off my Challenger makes the the black guard look out of place. A Brass one, not polished might look good.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 7:59pm
Hi novagun,
I got the pic of the steel one from the UK john knibbs web site. £6.50 + p&p
A brass one would be nice though. Easy to solder or braze the pieces together.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:18pm
Hi nunga
I ground the existing sprung pin to have a shallower angle. I also noted that the crusher and Diana have a different  type of fixed pin. That is the latch pin contacts a circular surface. A ball bearing on the Diana and a round bar on the crusher. This seemed better to me. So I modded the fixed pin in the compression tube to have a semi circular surface. I could not remove the pin to make a replacement so I added a spot of weld with my tig an then filed and sanded it.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic