Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamo trigger guard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamo trigger guard
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:46pm
I'm refinishing the sock on an old hunter 440, the trigger guard is missing so I'm looking for a replacement. I think the Crosman quest would have the same sized one.
I can get one shipped from the uk for 10 quid, but I thought I would ask here first.

And the guard I need.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:56pm
Might have one of those...let me have a look and ill get back to you
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:54pm
I took my 440 to Youngs a couple of weeks ago for a spring and it came back with a new trigger guard because my one was broken (obviously common!) So he must have them in stock..

Out of interest, have you done any internal work on yours?
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:34pm
Hmm, I thought about ringing Youngs, but in a fit of madness I decided to make my own. This is the result of several hours work attacking some 3mm Al sheet with a hacksaw, file and drill. I say mad, since as well as the time, I expect the price of some decent paint is going to be about the same as buying a new one Ermm

I just got the hunter, so my plan is to test it for accuracy first before putting a lot of time into it. If its good, I will give it a trigger job, de-burr, polish, new seal and maybe convert to gas spring.  The barrel also needs re-bluing.
If not I may put the stock on my Crosman crusher, which seems to shoot quite nicely.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:01am
Looks good, perhaps a nice polish would bring it up nicely rather than paint - add a bit of bling and show its a little different from the standard plastic jobby.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:09am
Thanks, have you done any work on your hunter 440?
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:16am
No I haven't, it was a hand me down that I have never really used. I got it serviced not long ago and it shoots 2-3" groups so doesn't get a lot of attention along side the TX200 or FWB!

Its twangy, harsh and with a terrible trigger, but they are from a time before Gamo started pumping out 25 models each year and seems to have a better build quality. I think as you say, open it up and give it a good polish etc will help.

I chronied it years ago and it was doing 17-18fpe, so perhaps collapsing a coil or two and bringing it down to 15-16fpe would help the feel of it and keep it with enough power to hunt with..
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:44pm
That trigger guard is not plastic out a packet from China. Just plain good. Is the curved bit held to the plate by bent tabs?
I found some aluminium solder that engineers might know about but DIY may not;quite expensive from Tradezone and you need a torch to get everything hot. Butane torch is hot enough. I think aluminium melts at 1200 degrees C and the solder at about 650. I was surprised how strong the aluminium solder is. Much stronger than lead tin solder and of course that is no good for aluminium.
The solder would not be as good aluminium welding but you need special gear and special skill for that.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:17pm
The tabs are TIG welded from the back, because my Aluminium TIG skills are not very special, it's a bit rougher looking Tongue
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
Flub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:33pm
You can also get silver solder wire that has a flux core and can be used on aluminium with a large soldering iron. You also need some oil and some flux paste. You put oil on the surfaces that you want to join and abrade them through the oil with something sharp. The oil prevents oxidation. You then drip melted flux onto the surface. This displaces the oil so you now have flux coated, oxide free, aluminium that can be soldered with the silver solder, which I think Jaycar stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic