Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The reason for ridges on a pellet skirt.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The reason for ridges on a pellet skirt.
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:54pm
The reason for striations on pellet skirts. (Ridges on the side of the skirt)

The following is my contribution to another forum. I reproduce it here to see what happens.

I have no authoritative quotes to substantiate this information apart from a discussion among some knowledgeable shooters at the local airgun club. It is subject to someone who has better information.

The reason for the striations on some pellets is the Magnus effect. In brief this means that the spinning of the pellet as it travels produces a low pressure area to the side of the pellet into which it is sucked. That gives a pellet deviation to the side of the direct line from muzzle to target. Left to a clockwise rotating pellet. 

At short ranges this deviation is insignificant with airguns. In powder burning high powered rifles it is also insignificant even at ranges of say 600 yards because the bullet exits the muzzle very fast, up to 3000 fps and does not loose significant velocity during its flight although it does loose some. The important point to note is that the spin rate imparted by the rifling is very fast, up to 70,000 rpm and for the duration of the bullet flight remains constant. Therefore the magnus effect is constant for the whole of the bullet trajectory. Because it is travelling so fast it makes no difference to the deviation from the direct path from muzzle to target. That is why among other reasons that rifle bullets do not have striations.
On the other hand an air rifle pellet exits the muzzle at say 850 fps and because it has little energy it drops velocity quite quickly. However the spin rate of the pellet remains, for practical purposes, constant. Over the course of its travel the pellet spin remains the same so the magnus effect that is drawing the pellet off course remains constant. However because the pellet is bleeding velocity quite quickly the magnus effect has a greater offset effect per unit of distance traveled at lower pellet velocity.
The way to offset the magnus effect is to slow the rotation of the pellet as it travels so that at greater ranges with the pellet travelling slower the offset per unit distance is less. The striations are to slow down the pellet spin and consequently reduce the Magnus effect. 

I think this deviation from the straight path is also called spin drift.

Edited by Novagun - 15 May 2017 at 8:59pm
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:57pm
Yes that is right the pellet does decelerate quickly but according to my information the spin rate does not. The striations are to slow the spinrate down by way of drag as the velocity of the pellet decreases so that the the magnus effect is less as the pellet velocity decreases. The further out from the muzzle the longer time makes the drag slow the pellet more. That is what the striations achieve. 
Sure it must be that as the pellet leaves the muzzle the spin rate is high and the striations must increases the circular motion of the air and have a high magnus effect early in the pellets' travel.
I suppose the pellet designers expect trade offs until harmony is achieved. ( Never is though)

I think the smooth skirted JSB and H&N pellets are the best. Better than RWS Superdomes.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:00pm
That's interesting. I would say that most pellets used by the throngs have smooth skirts. Your example of the 850 fps pellet - any idea on how far off it would travel over say, 50 m?
Does caliber matter?
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:10pm
I don't think calibre matters nor does velocity at least at small speeds.
The magnus effect is used markedly on cricket balls, golf balls, basket balls which are all slow moving.
With rifle bullets I think high power overcomes many occurences because bullets go really fast.
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:15pm
How far off does it move the pellet. Who knows, who cares but it is definitely there. If you put the pellet in the pigeons  head that is good.
In my case all my five shot one hole groups are just as good.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:00am
But what if you're OCD? Is that one hole group exactly where you aimed?
I would say the cricket ball moves because of drag on one side and shiny the other.
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:07am

Yes but it also has seams which must shift air around its surface. And tennis balls, they both get lobed with spin.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:14pm
Paul is right about the cricket ball, thats why they shine only one side of the seam to get the ball to swing through the air when bowling. the seam of the cricket ball normally stays straight up and down when bowling
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:30pm
yer need to google "flettener rotor"
Mr Flettener built a ship that used the magnus effect to power it..

career Infinity .22 PCP
Crosman optimus 1.77
Hatsan Mod 75 .22
Swiss Arms brake barrel pistol 1.77
Crosman 1322.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:43pm
I did. Very interesting. So a pellet would either go up or down if there is a side wind. It would need a vertical wind to move sideways. Have I got that right?
So in theory in a certain side wind, your pellet may not drop as much as you would expect. As nova said probably nothing noticeable but all the same interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic