Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What am I doing wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahudot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What am I doing wrong?
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:59am
Hello,

Am plagued by feral roosters which sleep too high in the trees for me to grab at night and are way too fast on the ground. Bought a Hatsan 70 .177 secondhand, which are supposed to have a fps of 1000. I have H & N field target trophy pellets. Pinged away at apples on the fence till I had my eye in, then went after them. Damned things just fly off laughing, even when I'm sure I hit them. One incautiously went to sleep in a low apple tree last night, shot it in the head from a range of about 3 inches, went out this morning with a spade, it is still well and happy.

Could the spring be worn?  Is there something else that might need adjustment/repair?

Have spoken to someone who has the same gun, reckons he uses his on possums.

Cheers,

Ahudot
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:15pm
The best way to tell is by using a chrony but not everyone has one. If you shot at a piece of pine framing from 1 m, how far in does the pellet go?
Maybe someone here has experience shooting roosters. I know some birds are hard to kill and you need to get them in the right spot. Layers of feathers can stop pellets dead.
Flub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:32pm
1000fps is the 'marketing' number achieved using the lightest posible pellets and doesn't mean much in the real world. However, this rifle using Trophy's is easily capable of taking out any bird at up to 30m with a head shot. The shot at 3" would have passed straight through the head and could have missed the brain (it's pretty small).

If you are shooting straight up into a tree you need to aim a couple of inches low because the trajectory is a lot flatter than shooting along the ground. You could be missing over their heads, which would certainly wake them up.
Ahudot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahudot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:06pm
Thank you Flub and Pauly, I will persevere then, interesting about missing the brain, and yes, I had noticed that The gun shoots high even when used level, I will allow for extra again when shooting straight up.
Regards Ahudot
Flub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:55am
If it shoots high even when level then you need to adjust the sights properly. I think that maybe you should practice some more before shooting live animals so that you can be sure of humane kills.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:36am
And with a powerful springer I wouldn't rest it on anything hard when aiming as the recoil will ruin your aim. Google artillery hold, where you basically hold it in soft hands and let the gun do what it does.
Ahudot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahudot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:00am
Thank you both, even with the sight wound right down flat it is still high, but I know how high so can allow. Hadn't noticed much in the way of recoil, but will check the artillery hold out. 
Had actually given up on just stalking them round the property as I felt guilty about hitting them without killing them,but really thought that a close shot like 3 inches would be foolproof.
Checked out where chickens brains actually are, they are nearly down into their necks! I had assumed they were kind of in the middle of their heads -not so.

Will continue to practice before I have another go unless one is unwise enough to roost 4 feet off the ground again.
Flub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:41am
Just a thought. If it is shooting high with the sights screwed right down, check to see if the barrel is bent upwards by resting a straight edge, such as a rular, on top of the barrel. There shouldn't be a gap. A fairly common problem with break barrel rifles is if the piston is released whilst loading (accidental trigger pull or sear not fully latched). This causes the barrel to fly up quickly and when it suddenly stops, it bends upwards.

Always hold the barrel (or cocking lever) when loading.
Ahudot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahudot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:10am
Hello, cold night last night so both roosters incautiously came down to sleep with my chickens and I was able to grab and cull them and once the deed was done made the following experiments while getting them ready for the pot.
Slug to any body part which is covered with feathers, at one foot range, doesn't even go through the feathers. Slug to bald facial area goes in about a quarter inch. Could not find any sign of injury to skin on either bird once plucked. Now in soup pot on back of wood burner, will check bottom of pot for pellets but suspect there will be none. Do not think I will be bothering any possums with this gun, but am enjoying pinging apples off fence. I wonder if a .22 would work better on possums, they know all about Timms traps, only ever got two, then found one using it as a picnic table to eat my pears grr.
Cheers, Ahudot
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:15am
Maybe your gun has a broken spring. They can still operate for a while like that, but your power would be way down. Your tests sound as though it could be lacking power. I agree feathers will stop pellets, but the head shots sound odd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic