Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still active? Also, my rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootersteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still active? Also, my rifle.
    Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 10:07pm
Just had a little look and I don't see that many recent posts. Is this forum still active?

Anyway, I just got a Gamo Varmint, been wearing it in over the last week or so. It's my first air rifle so I don't really know what to expect but so far I like how easy it is to cock and load, but the trigger could be lighter and it is fairly loud. 

Anyone else here have a Varmint? Do they get much quieter over time? 

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:12am
Hi Steve, the best thing you can do is put pellets through it to settle it in. Next would be to try different pellets, as your barrel may like one pellet, but not the next. JSB, H&N, accupel, just a few of the range.

If you get keen, you can tune your gun by taking it apart, smoothing any rough factory edges, re lube, and there is more, but that often makes it nicer straight away. The trigger is another key thing. If it's a bit rough, getting to know it will take longer.

Enjoy.
shootersteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootersteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:19am
I have a couple tins of Gamo pellets, when I'm through those I'll try H&N, they were recommended to me by a couple people. I'll try taking it apart eventually, just a bit worried I'll stuff it up. 
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:42am
I personally wouldnt waste my time with the gamo pellets, you would be lucky to hit the side of a house with those pellets. I would go out and get H&N field target and use those.

The triggers on the gamo are crap. not much you can do with those except replace them with a off market trigger such as the GRT3 triggers. I do make replacement triggers for them but they are a little more expensive than the ones you get from overseas due to the fact i hand make them to suit the rifle.

You will probably find the rifle sounds  louder than it actually is due to the plastic stock up against your cheek and you can here all the sounds of the piston and spring (or Gas ram) going off when you pull the trigger.

You might want to get a mate to fire the gun and stand next to it and see how loud it really is. But to answer the question, yes it will get quieter to a point as time goes on but not by much. 
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

shootersteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootersteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:29pm
Yeah my missus had a go on it the other day and it was noticeably quieter than I thought it was from a little distance.  

Probably won't bother getting a new trigger, not at this point anyway. 
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:45am

There are lots of things you can do to a Gamo to improve them. They are rarely very good out of the box but respond to DIY upgrades and can be excellent rifles. Apart from that it takes a while to learn to shoot a springer.
When you have finished those Gamo pellets don't buy any more. H&N, JSB are good pellets followed by RWS superdomes. Ron Young Airgun Centre in Auckland is the place for pellets and spare springs etc. Cheaper from there than most other places including the courier charge. His selection is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic