Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Ram conversions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 11:36am
I decided to start my gas ram again from scratch. The parts that they supply just do not look like they would last very long so I have got my tube i will be using and i have just finished the seal for the piston. I decided to do the seal first because it is the hardest for me to machine. The plastic does not like fine cuts so i can machine the tube out or make the shaft step to suit the internal hole in the plastic.

After machining the OD of the plastic it is time to do the internal hole.

Next i need to machine a angle on the OD so the plastic will expand to seal against the iner tube wall when pressure is added to it.

You cant really see the angle because my light is not the best but it is good :)

Tonight i will machine up the piston and shaft.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 11:37pm
Just finished the shaft - piston.

This is the finished item with the seal fitted.

I will do the tube and bearing over the next few days :)
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 12:25pm
Looking interesting mate, watching this build :)
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 11:52am
Did some quick testing last night. machined up a test tube with a bike  inner tube valve  on one end to put some pressure in. I managed to get it to hold 90PSI with out any leaks. Then did a compression of the shaft and watched the pressure rise to 150 before the valve gave way. The seal its self it sweet i just need to work on the filling part. :)
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 3:58pm

This is my test tube with the inner tube valve  :) I have just figured out a cool little one way valve that wont take up space inside the tube so the piston shouldnt hit it.

I will try to get it done tonight because i have just been told that we are going away for the long weekend..... and the dragon-inlaw ops... my mother in law will be joining us.

Edited by Nunga - 25 Oct 2013 at 3:59pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 12:28am
Well i finished the new the end plug with the valve, sorry didnt take photos this time. Will do some pressure testing tomorrow and if all goes well i will put in the gun and see how it goes. But it is looking good so far.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 12:21pm
Nice work bud, if you'd had it together earlier it might have helped with your dragon problem :)
NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 5:23pm
ha ha yea :)

Update. Finished testing and i managed to get just over 350psi into the ram using an old fridge compressor. Fitted it back into the gun and fired a few rounds to see how it did.

I used the same tin of .22 RWS super dome that i used before.

Here is the results through the chrony.  I got around 20fps difference between shots. I will have to look at the  main shaft seal in the ram because i think the friction is causing the changes in the FPS. But all in all i am happy with the way the ram is sealing. It will need some tweaking but it is well on the way.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:12pm
944 from a .22 is bloody good! The second photo at 365...... Not so much :)
NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by (pink)MIST (pink)MIST wrote:

944 from a .22 is bloody good! The second photo at 365...... Not so much :)

thats a 9 not a 3 :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic