Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

heavy .177 pellet recomendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heavy .177 pellet recomendations
    Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:17pm
Hi All.

It would be interesting to know what pellets people are using in their .177 Rifles.
I`m after a recommendation for a favored heavy pellet.

I`ve been looking at Youngs catalog and have narrowed it down to

Air Arms Diablo heavy 10.3 G

Gamo G-Buffalo 15.4 G

H&N Sniper Magnum 15 G.

Has anyone had experience with any of the pellets listed above?

I have reservations on the Gamo pellets having used Gamo pellets before but will possibly try the heaver ones anyway.

Cant seem to find any reviews other than Pyramid air.

thanks in advance.

Edited by ants - 17 Feb 2017 at 12:18pm
Walther Parrus
Diana 280
Smith N Wesson 77A
Smith N Wesson 78G
Anics A101 LB
Mintie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mintie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:52pm
Hi Ants,

Ive had pretty good luck running the JSB Exact Monster 13gr before. I was running them in a 177 PCP which needed a heavy pellet to get the most power out of it, the LW barrel loved them.

Crosman Premier are good too and around 10 gr from memory.

Edited by Mintie - 17 Feb 2017 at 6:53pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:36pm
if you are running a pcp then all good but if you have a springer they dont seem to like the real heavy pellets from my experience. I had good results with H&N pellets but each gun is different. your best bet is to try different pellets till you find one your gun likes.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:45am
Hmm I wanted to do some shooting this morning, but it's raining Unhappy but that is good for damping the port hills fires, so can't complain.

From what I have read on the interweb is-
Air rifle barrels have a slower twist rate than fire arms
And for accuracy they rely on the narrow waist shape to maintain stability in flight.
Heavy .177 pellets tend to lose the narrow waist.
Therefore they are inaccurate at longer range because the flight path becomes unstabe, eg spiraling.

---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 1:48pm
I have had good results with H&N barracuda in my HW97K stringers and cyclone, otherwise the jsb heavy are good too. I had some rabbit magnums, but the stringers don't like those, I would say strictly high power pcp.
ants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:51am
Thanks for the reply's
The main reason I am looking at a heavy pellet is because of the power rating of the Parrus. It says on the box it will shoot at 1300 FPS, I mainly practice in my yard and shooting a light pellet makes the gun sound like a .22 rim fire. I tried a 6grn pellet and yep, I thought the neighbours might get annoyed or scared at the sound it made.
I`ve been using heavy pellets to quieten the beast down a bit and make it more back yard friendly.   

Is there a way to tune the Parrus down a bit, make it shoot a little slower. would doing a down tune reduce the recoil?

I`ve seen youtube videos on shortening the spring, is this possible? does anyone here do this type of mod?

at the moment the Parrus can puncture very thick plywood, I have back stop after back stop to try to stop this thing taking out the back fence.
Walther Parrus
Diana 280
Smith N Wesson 77A
Smith N Wesson 78G
Anics A101 LB
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 4:50pm
I can do that mod for you.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:37pm
Looks like a good magnum springer. Have you tried heavy pellets in it?
One review showed the heavier retaining more energy at range and Def below the sonic speed.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:36pm
you also need to know if you do in fact have a spring in there. you could have a gas ram. I do have gas rams to fit at the lower power if you want to go down that track as well. Heavier pellets will slow it down and will be better for your gun and you will find the grouping will be better as well. those light pellets are no good for your gun. They sound fantastic when it goes off but thats all that is good about them.

ants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:04pm
I had a good session with the Parrus last night.

I took the Scope off after an hour and went back to the factory sights.
The recoil seems to be effecting the scope and I couldn't rely on it.
I will stick to the open sights and just work on my aim and hold.

I have been using heavy pellets since the rifle was new, I tried a few lighter lead pellets yesterday with good results.

I will keep the alloy/plastic pellets away from it.

I need to take it out to a longer range, furthest away I can get at home is 20 Meters.

I`ll do a bit of Homework on possible Mods and get back to you Nunga. Thanks for the offer. I hadn't thought of a gas ram, I`ve never shot one before.
cheers All!

Walther Parrus
Diana 280
Smith N Wesson 77A
Smith N Wesson 78G
Anics A101 LB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic