Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

advice wanted: shots landing below target

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice wanted: shots landing below target
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 10:53am
Hello.
(like most people) I`m after free advice: I hope this is the right sub forum.
Rifle is a Walther Parrus .177
The rifle has a fair recoil in my opinion, I`m used to shooting CO2 and Pneumatic with little or no recoil.
The Parrus is a challenge I`m keen to "master"
I`ve been using the supplied open sights, a Fixed TruGlo fiber optic hooded front sight and a Micro-adjustable open rear sight.
So far my shots are hitting three inches below the intended target at 15 meters.

I haven't had a chance to try the rifle out on a longer range.

I own a cheap Gamo scope that does ok in my back yard on my S&W 77A. but I`m worried it may need resetting after each shot due to the recoil on the Parrus.

I don't really know much about Scopes, Barrel Droop and compensating mounts.
I don't want to expose myself as an utter newb at Gun City Or Serious Shooters and would be buying my scope at Youngs.

what do you think the best and most cost effective solution would be.

so far my options are:
mount my $90 Gamo Scope on the Parrus and hope for the best.
Grit my teeth and keep trying to master the gun with open sights.

any advice would be welcome.
many thanks

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:40pm
Your $90.00 gamo scope should be okay to use on that gun. you have the 1000 fps version right? the recoil on that shouldnt be enough to brake the scope. Your scope will have some weight to it so when you mount it to the gun it will reduce the recoil a little bit and you will find it a little easier to shoot.

The thing you must understand with sighting in and zeroing your sights (both open and scoped) is when you fire the gun the pellet does not fly in a straight line it curves up then drops lower again. If you zero at 20 meters you will be shooting low at 10 meters and if you zero your gun at 10 meters you will be shooting high at 20. Find the right pellet that the gun likes and then take the gun out into the field and see how far you want to shoot..zero at that distance then move in closer and see where the pellets are hitting so you know how much hold over you will need for your closer targets or find a distance in between the two that you can zero and not have that much hold over. I normally zero mine at 29 yards that gives me a good range to point and shoot bunnies. if im going possum hunting i will just stand under a tree and shoot at the leaves on the tree and zero it again from there.

Hope that helps.

2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:56am
And maybe get a solid one piece mount instead of two singles.
ants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:09am
I spent an hour or two last night with the Gamo Scope installed. It is a massive improvement on the open sights. The rifle is almost hitting spot on, tonight I will try it further out at about twenty meters without altering the scope and see if it improves POI. thanks for the advice.
I read about a Leapers one piece Shock mount, Pauly5 do you have another cost effective recommendation? now I know the Parrus is hitting the target it may become my no.1 go to and I can semi retire my two older rifles. (S&W 77a and a Sheridan CO2)
And a big plus is the arm work out it gives you when cocking it, loads of fun to be had.
ants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 8:58am
ok, I must admit. I had the rear sight too far down to begin with.
now using open sights I`m hitting match boxes at 20 meters.
recoil has calmed down too.
really liking the Parrus!
Walther Parrus
Diana 280
Smith N Wesson 77A
Smith N Wesson 78G
Anics A101 LB
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:00pm
Nice!!
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic