Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My QB79 .25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Raizer Raizer wrote:

741fps / 30.98fpe Big smile

Pellet type and weight?
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 1:01am
Oops, knew I was forgetting something!  I use JSB Kings 25.4gr
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 8:23pm
I keep forgetting to update this thread Embarrassed
But it's now got a new Airborne Arms valve in it, cock on open mod and puts out just over 37fpe Big smile

It's got the lower valve in it

Breech modded for cock on open, so I don't have to try to hold the bolt open against the hammer spring while loading a pellet

Now to find some possums, or better yet goats!
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 8:34pm
Soo lets bring this back up to date then Tongue

At the end of October I had a full length QB78 gas tube arrive from Welsh Willy in the UK/Wales, which I promptly had cut down to 13.75", I also had a breach riser come from Porky on the UK boards who makes all kinds of bits for the QB guns

Ooh and I'd just fitted my new Hawke.

So I quickly got down to putting the pieces together!

Ignore the blue bits, it wasn't until after I assembled it all that I realized I hadn't cut the slots for the cocking handle before painting the riser  Angry

Just changing to the longer tube gave a close to 15% power gain, it last chronied at 39fpe with leaking transfer port and bolt seals!

And after a long wait my new QB78 stock finally arrived from the UK :D

I've only done a rough job with the dremal on the inletting for the gas block so far, which is why the tube sits higher at the front of the stock than the rear.
Will tidy it up nicely when I've got a good sharp chisel!

It's soo much more comfortable for free standing shots!!
I always used to have the air fill fitting digging into my forward hand with the short tube.

I'm also thinking about making the cheek rest height adjustable, and possibly painting the stock black? (or coating in bed liner?)
I was originally going to ebonize the stock, but this one was not a winning ticket in the Chinese stock lottery, can see a big patch of filler under the finish and there's no telling how deep it goes :(

Just waiting on a meter of alloy tube I've ordered to arrive, then I'm going to attempt making a 30mm full length over barrel suppressor :)

Edited by Raizer - 14 Dec 2013 at 8:36pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 11:07am
Nice :)
patcheye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patcheye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:56pm
I thought about buying a QB79 just a while back, but couldn't find any in all the usual airgun shops etc. Typical isn't it? You finally decide to get one after all the good things you hear about them and ther's none around...

Whether they're all sold out or nobody is bringing them in anymore, I don't know, but I just cannot find one...

I certainly like what yours has become.

Edited by patcheye - 20 Dec 2013 at 5:59pm
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 7:25pm
Yeah they do seem hard to find at the moment I'm sort of looking for one as a base for a gun for the misses and can't find any either!
The other "problem" is they only ever seem to be in .177 too.
I'm thinking I might have to buy another .22 from the States or even the parts to put all my spares together Smile
patcheye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patcheye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 5:09pm
Hey, if you do decide to get one in, give us a yell. If you ever want to beef another one up to those above specs, give us an even bigger yell. That energy level really caught my eye...

I haven't been haunting to many airgun forums of late because of other things happening but I will keep a better eye on this one from now...
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:09pm
Will do mate, should be able to get a price break on 2 or more.
Always happy to mod a QB, I can't do valves like mine as it was made for me, but I know a few ways to get good flow through the stock valve.
I tunned up Seppo's .177 from around 5fpe to over 15 with 10.?gr JSB heavies :-)
patcheye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patcheye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:52pm
Hey, still good though - 15 compared to 5 ft-lbs...

I'll keep a little purse aside incase I get the chance to get ahold of one. I've been reading too many good things about the QB's to turn my head yet another time. I like the idea of the moderator on them too.
If you get a good price just PM or email me and I'm sure I can get some money to you asap... If you want to play with and tickle it up a bit, I am in no particular hurry. I'd rather wait and get a nice one and cross your palm with some coin for your troubles...

Cheers...

Oh if you want my email address just say so and I'll PM you...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic