Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My QB79 .25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My QB79 .25
    Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 6:28pm
Cross posting from another forum, but here is my QB79 project

03/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer:340354 Raizer:340354 wrote:

I brought a Mike Melick "power tuned" .22 QB79 back in August last year which I was rather excited about at the time lol

Was doing 15+fpe out of the box

Before doing to much shooting I had the barrel threaded and added a Porky style silencer

And when I was really lucky I would get groups like this

But only with JSB pellets

And most of the time they were more like this Unhappy

Also had some 10m groups that were over 12" ctc at 15m with superdomes!

After working my way through multiple possible causes with advice from members of this and other forums I soon found that the stock barrel was bigger than .22 and pellets pretty much weren't engaging the rifling, the only reason I can see that the JSB's were doing ok for the most part is there very soft skirts.

The marking looks a lot deeper in the photos than in person!
Also the probe/bolt seal and transfer port seal were both leaking a bit.

I decided I didn't want to spend $60+ on getting another stock barrel sent to me only to risk getting another dud so after talking to an excellent machinist on other forum we decided .25 was in this guns future!
So I now have a BSA blank winging its way from John knibbs   Big smile

While waiting for that to get here I've opened up the "piercing body" of my valve (badly), lined the valves port up with the hole in the tube, found a 5mm id tube to use for the transfer port and replaced much of the stock screws for strength.

Aiming for 40fpe still on co2 at this point, next step will be a 17ci hpa tank shimmed to 1100psi.

04/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer Raizer wrote:

As said, my first attempt at opening out the front of the valve didn't go too well Embarrassed

Jonballs is checking if he has one for me, so hopefully my 2nd attempt will go a lot smoother!

Trying to figure out how to do my transfer port and still have the valve seal to the tube

04/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer:340538 Raizer:340538 wrote:

Take 2 should look more like this

The spring is currently still held in with the factory washer, Mike Melick ground it into a triangle when he did the original tune, he also cut a seat for the spring into the valve stem

09/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer:341873 Raizer:341873 wrote:

Customs Declaration
1x rubber oring
1x grease
1x steel tube for machining

declared value: £15

;D

So my barrel arrived this arvo, haven't taken it out of the bag yet, but just looking through the plastic the blueing and rifling looks really nice!
Kinda disappointed it doesn't have the BSA logo stamped in it haha

(the "oring" is a new breech seal for my Hatsan)

11/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer:341873 Raizer:341873 wrote:

Take 2 went a lot smoother, I had one slip with the grinder but thankfully didn't manage to destroy the piece!

Brought a longer spring for the valve too.

11/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer:341911 Raizer:341911 wrote:

I just got an update on the machine work

Here's a quick progress report for ya.. I have turned up a new .25 cal bolt probe and turned the barrels breach down to a very snug polished fit which requires a soft face hammer to send home..

This will be a far better means of attachment than the factory undersized breach floating on those 3 soft O rings and one retaining grub screw allowing it to slop all over the show with the slightest knock. The new fit is so snug that it wont in fact require any O rings to seal it. I will put it in the mill tomorrow and open up the feed tray section of the breach.

I will turn the bolt probe down a bit thinner and shape the tip of the probe to fit the rear end of a JSB King perfectly aiding bore to pellet alignment further.
The Kings are a perfect candidate pellet for this project as they are light, short and tend to out shoot any other pellet in all .25 cal rifles. The challenge you now face is blasting enough CO2/air up its skirt to get them moving..
The bolt will have a tapered touch fit to a shoulder just inside the breach like a Theoben Rapid with an additional breach O ring just behind that.

I gave the bore a good scrub to rid it of the factory crud and have pushed a few pellets through the new 1/4" bore and there is plenty of bite in this bad boy.. the choke is nice and tight and the pellets exit showing good strong rifling grooves in the head and skirt.

Big smile Big smile

12/04/2013
Originally posted by Raizer:342140 Raizer:342140 wrote:

Latest update Big smile

Quote [color=teal][size=10pt]Well Raizer, Your Qb79 is officially a .25cal! The barrel is fitted and I have cut the sweetest JSB chamber in it sized perfectly for the Kings.
I also shaped the bolt probe tip to suit the internal skirt angle... tomorrow I will machine a groove in the bolt to add a breach O ring and a mod to the transfer port sealing surfaces to fit a decent O ring.

That will only leave the crown and 1/2x20tpi muzzle thread to complete before hopefully some testing on paper tomorrow..[/color]

Edited by Raizer - 13 Apr 2013 at 9:58pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 6:58pm
It is coming on nicely :) look forward to your test results!
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:59pm
I'm really looking forward to them too!!
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 9:09pm
Quote [color=teal][size=10pt]Ive cut the breach seal groove and fitted an O ring.. Ive tested it under pressure and it shows no leaks at all..

I have reassembled the rifle and put a few shots through it but it got too dark to chrony.. judging by the hole in my fence it will be quite the possum slayer now.. Will do some velocity and group tests tomorrow and get it back to you. Its just screaming out for a Hpa conversion now..

[/color]
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 4:41pm
My 9 ball bolt handle rolled off his bench and the ball shattered soo...

Quote Tacticoooool  Cool

Tested the 5 different species of .25 pellets that I had on hand this morning on paper at 30m, No prizes for guessing which ones shot the best  ::)

JSB Exact Kings. 25.4gr
Benjamin Premiers 27.8gr
Predator Polymags 26.0gr
Daystate Rangemasters 36.2gr
H&N Barracudas 31.0gr

I don't have the strings, but the JSB kings are doing about 600fps on CO2.
"Its screaming out for an HPA kit now!"
"You are guna love it.. the pests are not.."

Also he sent me these pics

:D I think my accuracy problems might be solved now :D

Edited by Raizer - 15 Apr 2013 at 4:43pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 5:11pm
Beautiful is all i can say to that :)
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 11:19pm
It just got even better!

Quote Suppressors were the hot topic of the day today..

I shot the new .25cal barrel fitted with your old suppressor and the groups opened up to about an inch at 20m.. this wasn't helping your .22 barrel at all.
I fired a bunch of 3 shot groups through various other suppressors off my other rifles and found it favoured the cheapest one of the lot.. a $30 Chinese .22lr muzzle can..

As you cant shoot your rifle without a suppressor where you are I thought Id better make one that does work.. its an over barrel ported shroud with the same baffle system as the crappy Chinese .22lr can it seemed to like... It is super light at 100 grams and is much quieter than your old one..

And the best part is it really shoots with this lightweight on!..

It is just a bit shorter in overall length than your .22 barrel with suppressor even though the new .25 BSA barrel is actually 2 inches longer than the original .22 barrel.

Its boxed up and on its way back to you.. Enjoy!!! Wink

Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 6:36pm
Got it back today, chucked a full 9oz on and sighted it in.
Didn't get to shoot anywhere near as long as I wanted to, but well I'M IN LOVE!!
Super quiet, super accurate and a real punch to it!!

It almost feels strange hitting what I'm aiming at! haha
Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 11:13pm
Things have progressed a little since I last posted!

Ran it on CO2 for a while after getting it back, but soon got sick of paying $10-13 for 9oz of gas!
Then this happened

Big smileBig smile 1400psi regulated output JDS Airman HPA tank Big smileBig smile
Before fitting that I bored out the gas block a bit to give more volume of regulated air, forgot to take a pic of mine but it looks like this now

Just with a slightly bigger and deeper bore.

Haven't Chrony'd it as yet, but is sure sounds like the pellets are hitting a LOT harder than they were on gas!

Raizer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 6:28pm
741fps / 30.98fpe Big smile

Edited by Raizer - 19 Jul 2013 at 6:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic