Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New stock for my HW98

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New stock for my HW98
    Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:15pm
Earlier last year I made a new stock for my 98 after the original stock got a bit of water damage. Still perfectly functional, but what better excuse.

I got given a small slab of Rimu that had some delicious looking grain in it. I was so involved in the early stages I didn't stop to take any photos, hence the jump in the timeline.

Then alakazam peanut butter sandwiches!

I then fitted the action, butt, trigger guard and used it for a while with the intention of making the cheek piece adjustable, and possibly a hamster so I could use it in field target competition.

I also put the trigger I had done a modification on into the rekord unit. The blade is set back a bit more, and is much lighter without being dangerous due to adjustable stages. 
http://www.kiwiairgunners.co.nz/forum_posts.asp?TID=237

So fast forward about 9 months to yesterday. I got to use a friends band saw to cut the cheek and it was all go. Having the right equipment makes things so much easier and better. It took me about 3 mins to do this, where if i'd tried it a home it would have taken ages and would have probably looked bad.

I used the belt sander to get rid of the blade marks, then went through a couple of grades until it was baby bum smooth. Next I cut a hamster from the same slab trying to get the crazy grain, a bit more sanding and then rubbed in some linseed, almost the best part as the wood transforms.

Next step was to fit the post for the cheek piece. I used a piece of stainless rod glued into the cheek. It will be adjustable height wise and can be swiveled too. Fastened by a threaded insert and grub screw.

So that's it for now. I got some bits and pieces for the hamster today and will hopefully finish this over the weekend, but re fitted the action and mocked the hamster placement.

DiddleyDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiddleyDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
Awesomely beautiful and more so because you did it yourself. A huge part of the enjoyment of shooting is to have good looking gear. Well done.

DD
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:59am
and thats a fantastic looking side wheel you have there too ! :)
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:27pm

Fitted everything last night, including hook made by NUNGA.
Feels great to shoulder, and fired a couple of shots. Very ergonomic.
xyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:45pm
Looks great, I would like to make a stock that nice one day.
---
My favourites
springer - Diana 52
PCP - FX Wildcat III
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:47pm
It's the piece of wood that makes it look so good. Notice, no close ups. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic