Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Silencer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silencer
    Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:24am
Ive decided my rifle would benefit from making even less report . Its hard to really work out if its the near miss as the pellet flies close by or the report of the rifle that makes a rabbit jumpy ,I'm picking a bit of both Id say, so Ive ordered a Q Tec silencer .These aren't cheap but what the hell, either I buy some extras or I pay more  ...........TAX !! Oh my god forbid that !!LOLLOL

Edited by Rabbiter - 13 Dec 2016 at 8:25am
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 8:07am
Let me know how it is. I've got an FX cyclone that I want to put a silencer on. I've got a mighty mouse one that is just springs and washers, and actually works well but I need another, and don't think they are around now.

I have one of those $40 ones that come with Norinco .22, but not nearly as good.

Rabbiter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 3:55pm
Ok Paul ,the  Q Tec silencer has arrived & with not alot of time on hand I've only managed to give it a wee test  run .The POA hasn't shifted but I'm not sure the rifle is any quieter with it fitted than when its not ,however I'm at the wrong end to judge ,the rabbits will tell me when I launch another attack next week .You tube videos using measuring equipment shows a reduction of half between it and the older brand of air arms suppressor .Further reports to follow as results with the rabbits show Cheers JT.
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 10:02pm
Please enlighten me. What is being silenced?
If the pellet is subsonic then there is not a lot of noise from a pcp and the pellet itself makes little noise. The hiss as it passes a rabbit would be enough to spook it. Is it just the airblast as the pcp empties its charge that is noisy and needs to reduced? That blast is not like a big powder burner bang. Or even a subsonic .22 LR bang.
There is a bit more noise from a springer but that noise is really confined to the close proximity of the shooters ear and is produced by all the hardware thrashing about. {The quiet of the Gamo IGT is noticeable.} {Had to get that in} Subsonic pellets don't break the sound barrier hence no boom. Supersonic pellets do but the shockwave peals off,  I would think, into the atmosphere after the pellet passes the constriction of the silencer. If the pellet goes supersonic then maybe it does not stay supersonic for long before it drops back below the speed of sound where the shockwave reforms on the pellet and I guess would produce another bang or at least some noise. 
I wonder what the noise would be like from any  airgun at the 30 - 40 -50 yard mark. 
I remember from working in the butts at training that all one really heard was the crack of a supersonic round going over head. No report from the gun being discharged two or three hundred yards away.

I look forward to reports of silencer effectiveness but I can't help comparing with fishing lures that are made more to catch fishermens' wallets than catch fish. 
Novagun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novagun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 10:14pm
PS.
I don't really know but the sonic bang heard might be caused by the displacement of air as the projectile travels so that the bang is heard by any observer as the bullet passes overhead. The noise ,which is only compressed air is heard at all points along the trajectory, so at a distance from the muzzle a subsonic pellet has little noise.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 7:16am
Nova, the silencer really quietens the muzzle blast. With PCP, some are noisier than others, but generally you can hush them down by using a silencer. So you can wear a tuxedo and do the phtt phtt shooting thing.

But of course, if the pellet is sonic then you will get sound.
Rabbiter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 7:52am
ANY advantage I can get with the rabbits I'm keen to have ,how they react will tell the story .You can look up some tests & results on you tube ,that's in human terms of course the humble bunny is a different kettle of fish ,if the silencer gives me another 10 rabbits dead I will be very pleased ,its better that giving it to the IRD who will in turn pass it onto the Government to  waste on some overseas trip or a taxi to pick up pizzas.LOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic