Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Night vision DIY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night vision DIY
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:03pm
Well since paul planted the seed the other day about how i should use some night vision gear for my hunting i have been doing some research. There are a lot of options out there for doing it on a budget such as reversing cameras which already have IR built in, you can get these off trade me for under $100.00 with screen, but i want to pay less than that and i want to see how cheap i can go and still see what i am doing. I plan to use things i have around the house and dont plan on spending to much cash to experiment this with. Im going to set my budget at $40.00. Can this be done? who knows, but its going to be good finding out.

So this is my master plan. I plan to use my smart phone to hook up to a usb camera, I brought a OTG lead to plug into the phone from Jcar for 7 bucks and a universal phone bracket from the 2 dolla shop to hold the phone to the scope. The usb camera will be out of an old HP laptop which i plan to convert to run off a usb cable. I have my spotlight which i will convert to IR as well.

So first off i needed to strip the camera out of the laptop which was pretty easy only 4 screws to hold the plastic face plate on then the camera was only held on with double sided tape. I made sure i took the wires and plug out without damaging the plug or cable. next i got an old usb cable and cut the square plug off. removed the foil shielding from the exposed wires and stripped the wires so the copper was showing. Next i did the same with the wires from the camera. I used a multi meter to find the earth which in this case were the set of white wires. that left 3 wires a red one a yellow one and a green one. the red one was power and the other two connected to signal for the usb. Put it all together and i now have a working USB camera. I tested it on my PC and it gives out 640x480 @ 30fps not bad for free.

Next thing i had to do was test it to make sure it can see IR. to do this i just got the remote control for the TV and pushed the power button in front of the camera and looked to see if i could see the led light up and yes i can! so that a good start. I am not sure if these have a IR filter built in or not i wont know that till i have finished my IR torch and test it in the dark. if i cant see anything i will need to pull it apart and remove the filter.

Thats as far as i have got so more to follow shortly.

2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:28pm
Very good. The filter will be a sliver of red tinted glass. There are some cameras on Trademe that will be ok without going to eBay. Will be good to see the outcome.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:57am
Well the camera from the laptop doesnt connect to my phone, works fine on the PC but the phone just doesnt pick it up so i will have to look for cheap camera form somewhere.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 6:43pm
You need a camera with around 700 tvl (tv Lines)
Bullet or board style, depending on how you want to mount it. The other thing you need is a lens size around 12 - 16 mm. These screw into the mounts easily. If you can get hold of an old cctv camera you may find these are perfect to buggerize. Kiwi ingi, inji.......style.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:00pm
It just so happens i have an old security camera in storage. It has an board stile camera on it and i have removed the IR filter and played around with a mounting tube and my home made IR light. works good but the image is very small in the center of the screen and is very hard to see. ill post some photos of what i have done so far in the morning. ill try to track down a bigger lens for it and see if that helps the image size.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:38pm
If you have a jaycar store nearby, they sometimes sell cctv stuff, otherwise there's ebay, but that can take ages.
Peavey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peavey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 6:17pm
Awesome, I would love to add some night vision to mine.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 10:26am
Just an update on this...I stopped with the original idea as it was too much mucking about and not really working.

Ive come up with another idea and started working on it. I have a HD handy cam which i have mounted on my gun in the past to take hunting vids. it was mounted on the side of the scope before. I will mount this directly behind the scope this time and use the zoom on the handy cam to get around the wide angel lens problem. Ive already removed the IR filter off it and tested with a TV remote and it works pretty good and since i have two of these i thought i would donate one to science. All i need to do now is to mount to to the back of the scope, Its already got a built in screen so its all set to go...(i hope)

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:42am
That's the cleanest way of doing that. If I find a cheap handy cam I will do it also. I got to shoot some rats at the tip a couple of weeks ago with my n v gear.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 10:06am
Did you ever finish this project Nunga?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic