Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

adjustable hamster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adjustable hamster
    Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:34am
Well after finally getting my scope problems sorted and dropping the power of the TX down to 12fpe and new click charts sorted i had my first shoot with it over the weekend. The gun is right on the money now and it shoots like a dream.  Only problem i am finding is the hamster is only aiding my shooting in the sitting position it is at a good height and my back is not bent over and it feels good. However when kneeling and standing it is totally different. The gun is very front end heavy and it is hard to keep it still when shooting and i cant seem to find a comfortable position and as result i am missing these shots. So. I will make a new adjustable hamster and see if this helps. I will start on it today and see if i can get it ready by Sunday to test. 
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 4:39pm
I started off with some 60mm solid bar. Machine down to size and drill and bore for the fittings.

Next i will start on the arms

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 1:35pm
Finished the first part of it now. so on with making the arms next.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 4:11pm
Well its been a long and busy day but i did manage to get it finished and working. I didnt have enough time to take lots of photos cause i wanted to get it done.

But for the arms i used flat bar 40x10x200 long i used my alloy partoff disk to get the general shape i wanted then set it up in the rotary table to make it round and mill the groves in for the gears.

It looks and feels good now so testing and fine tuning will be tomorrow.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 8:18am
Good on ya Ian, looks great, nice work!

I had tried a "Ram mount", which is like a ball joint mounting system. It is adjustable, but I feel that for a springer you need a rigid fitting. I will be interested to see if the POI changes slightly between the sitting nd standing settings.
The ram mount had a little bit of movement/flex that I felt effected accuracy enough to bother me. Pcp wouldn't be a problem, but it's that whole harmonic balance type of thing I reckon.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 8:27am
Thanks, I did try a few shots through this morning to see how it goes and i did run into one problem right away. The gun wont cock if the hamster is extended out because the cocking lever hits it.  So i need to move it back each time i load...can i be bothered doing this each time? who knows...i will find out next FT shoot i suppose.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:29am
What if you put a stop so it can't be extend into the path of the lever? Would save guessing.

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 12:06pm
How did you go?
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 4:32pm
Had a tester at North Harbor today, i think it will be ok if i machine a slot into the wood part of it so the cocking bar doesnt hit it. but it worked like a dream so should be sweet once ive finished mucking about :)

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 7:34am
Great! When do they go on sale?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic