Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Testing pellets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing pellets
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 5:51pm
Right today i decided to knock off early and leave the boy to lockup. So i went home and printed off a target and got some tins of pellets out for a play.

The Pellets

1, Gamo TS-10 10.49gr
2, H&N Baracuda Hunter 10.34gr
3, H&N Baracuda Match 10.65gr
4, Gamo Pro Magnum 7.56gr
5, Gamo PBA 5.4gr

The Gun

Hatsan MOD 125 .177 (the beast)

I had 4 shots each at a distance of 30 meters.

The TS-10 were very lose in my gun with some pellets i had to be careful that they didnt fall out when closing the barrel. They preformed average at best but i wasn't expecting much because of the inconsistency of the pellets in the barrel.

H&N Baracuda Hunter. These performed good. They were all nice fitting in the gun and i got some good groups out of them.

H&N Baracuda Match. I have used these before and i know they are good so no surprises when i saw the results. Excellent grouping very accurate pellet.

Gamo Pro Magnum. like the TS-10 they were all over the place in the barrel two of them very lose the other two nice tight fit so no surprises for the final result.

Gamo PBA. these were the biggest surprise. To my total amazement these pellets actually quite accurate they were almost as good as the Baracuda pellets. But i must point out i do not normally use these pellets in my gun. Even tho they sound really cool when they leave the barrel @ 1650fps :) they are just too light and they will damage the gun so i stay away from these.

Here is the results for you to have a look at.

(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 6:49pm
what position were you shooting from? I would have thought the bara's would have performed better, maybe some jsb heavy's might?
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:05pm
I was kneeling down shooting upwards.. so to speak 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 9:21pm
in that case those aren't too bad then. , that and the fact you're using a rifle that is a bit of a monster.
Given the power of the thing, have you run any heavy pellets through it to see what happens?

NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 10:00pm
I have put a tin of H&N Silver point 11.57gr, H&N Rabbit Magnum II 15.74gr and a tin of bigboy heavy weight 13.00gr through the gun but all of them did not like my gun.

I will setup a target with the above pellets over the weekend and show you the crap results :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 11:36pm
try it from a seated position like this, lets the rifle move as it needs to, and if its groups you're after it'll help them out a bit due to stability

NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:55am
That looks like a good way to shoot. Very stable. But they way i shoot  the targets is the way i hunt. So if i can get ok groups on paper I should be able to get good clean kills in the field. Also keep in mind the paper i am using is A5 Paper that the target is printed on and those squares are 10mm x 10mm. I should of put a 10c coin next to the groups to give some kind of aspect ratio. maybe next time :)

If i try your way of shooting do you think i would need to adjust the sites to suit each time when switch between styles? would it make any difference at all?

P.S love your scope :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:38pm
we shoot sitting (as above) kneeling and standing, the only thing I change is the focus for each shot to get the range estimation.
If you love the scope in that pic, you'd love it more now, on riser block and with 3"sunshade on :)
you'd like the other ones I have as well :)
BUT
for hunting / snap shots at bunnies.... to fiddly, too hi mag.
If im up that way (my father in law lives on bombay) youre welcome to have a play with it ( and others) and swap some tips if you want

Edited by (pink)MIST - 28 Mar 2013 at 11:44pm
NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 8:45am
Yea mate that would be cool, Im curious to know who your father in law is now :) I lived on bombay for a number of years my self (Barber road, up by the sub station). Small world.

Next time you plan a trip this way give me a shout you are welcome to come to my place i have lots of open space. I can set up targets up to 300 meters for us. Might even be a rabbit of five to shoot :)

But not this weekend as we are off shortly to coromandel for a dive/fish
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 5:52pm
All good buddy, rather be doing that myself but house's dont move themselves :)
NZAFTA President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic